Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

Dorcha

Re: Cork Minor Hurlers 2017

Postby Dorcha » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Well said, Spongebob. Cork let themselves be bullied too much, but Galway were never sure of victory until the final whistle. They made far more mistakes than Galway and that is why Galway won. No way at all are Cork a bad team.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 pm

The good news is that there are players on that team who will make their mark on the game and will be all the more hungry to do so after today. Even allowing for some poor refereeing decisions (a belt across the head merits a line ball in KK it seems and from where I was sitting Canning's second was not only in the square but it looked like the player who played it in to him picked it off the ground [Ring and co were going mental on the sideline calling for the free]), we had the chances to win the game, including a great goal chance at the end, but didn't take them. That's sport. What is important is that we recognise that these young fellas gave up their summer to try and win something Cork haven't won since 2001. They did the county proud and we should thank them for it, not pile on at a time when they will be gutted. Onwards and upwards. There's light at the end of the tunnel, but we are not the only county saying that this evening.
topoftheright

Postby topoftheright » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Was at the game and like every rebel in the ground I was hugely disappointed that we lost.We missed a couple of handy scores during the game that in the finish could have got us over the line. One thing I am sure of is that the referee was very,very inconsistent.Enough said. The Cork management I could not understand.In the replay against Tipperary they waited until Tipperary had nearly drawn level with us before they made changes. Today they put on two subs who made huge contributions while Galway nearly emptied the bench.I am convinced if the Cork management started to empty the bench at an earlier stage we would have won. I have no confidence what so ever in the manager and I feel we left this game after us.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 pm

We also hit the last 3 wides when 2 points down from 2 of our most prominent players. An absolute killer.
Denis Ring hasn't been the most prolific manager we've had despite a multitude of very talented players going through his ranks. Time for a change now.
Id also like to see the Jack Canning 2nd goal again on the edge of the square.
Caughtforpace

Postby Caughtforpace » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Officials got the two tight square ball calls, right.
Ball should have been batted to retreating Cork defender for canning' second goal.
I'd be concerned about the complacent consensus of inevitability about victory today and upcoming success for Cork hurling. Hopefully the hurt of this defeat might keep a few feet on the ground.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Disappointing to see a small number on Twitter in Cork including a member of the media here blaming the ref. Should know better.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Spongebob wrote:Nobody is blaming referee. What is absolutely ridiculous is saying Galway were much better. Galway were very good and fair play to them for winning. When they were on top, they took most of their chances and made us pay. When we were on top in the first and last quarter, we left them off. We should have had two more goals. The point about the referee is a simple one If the referee had been consistent on square balls (two decisions - no more) then the vastly superior Galway team would have lost.

FFS, they beat us by one score.

I think you should open up your horizons on the ref. He got both correct.
Galway outhurled Cork today and we were lucky to be within a puck at the end. It's quite simple in Cork hurling circles - you either win or you don't. Sorry if I have higher expectations than you. Cork lost and outside of our county, nobody will remember the runners up in 6 months time
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:54 am

While it would have been brilliant to win this and a much need boost for Cork hurling, let's not lose sight of the fact that we won the U17 a few weeks ago, not all these players are going to make the break through to senior but a few will and the experience will stand to them. I am not for one second suggesting that we don't want to win the underage titles but for too long we haven't produced players that we can see progressing to the seniors, that has surely changed. Today is probably not the day to be overly critical of the team.

I personally finished 2016 with a sense of dread for 2017, at the end of the 2017 inter county hurling season I look forward to 2018 with a new sense of hope.
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:18 am

One point remembering as well, is that Galway did not use any of the current minor panel that were legible to play in the u17 All Ireland final. Food for thought.
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 am

Should have stated, ( did not start.) In my previous post

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”