2017 junior championships

producer ben

Re: 2017 junior championships

Postby producer ben » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:56 pm

The motion passed last night allowing the defeated divisional finalists another chance in the county championship. I don't think i'm for it, it's very hard to beat a team twice and it also diminishes the importance of the divisional final ( which i guess was the aim of the whole thing).
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Surely the divisions were against this?
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Of course. There was an interview with Sean McCarthy (Seandun Secretary) a few Sundays ago on C103. He sounded resigned. He knows the game is up. John Fintan Daly sounded as bullish as ever last Sunday (also on C103) about divisions. A good match between Knocknagree and Cullen is not a good enough reason for keeping the status quo - 100+ teams in the same comp with one promotion spot! Time for premier junior (or call it whatever you want-what is in a name?). In 2018 we will have it.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 am

producer ben wrote:The motion passed last night allowing the defeated divisional finalists another chance in the county championship. I don't think i'm for it, it's very hard to beat a team twice and it also diminishes the importance of the divisional final ( which i guess was the aim of the whole thing).

A joke, who ever heard of a county board being able to award two wild cards in to a championship
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Welcome to Cork, we do things differently here. Look where its got us. I cant believe the boards who were against this didn't kick up more of a fuss
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Next year, they will be picking 16 wildcards when we have a premier junior championship!! An 800% increase... Hopefully we'll see some improvements in the HSE in the mean time.
Corkhurlinglove

Postby Corkhurlinglove » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Spongebob wrote:Next year, they will be picking 16 wildcards when we have a premier junior championship!! An 800% increase... Hopefully we'll see some improvements in the HSE in the mean time.

?????
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Corkhurlinglove wrote:
producer ben wrote:The motion passed last night allowing the defeated divisional finalists another chance in the county championship. I don't think i'm for it, it's very hard to beat a team twice and it also diminishes the importance of the divisional final ( which i guess was the aim of the whole thing).

A joke, who ever heard of a county board being able to award two wild cards in to a championship

The wild card is gone. Thank fuck. As you say a joke. Hopefully to keep the integrity of the divisional championships, they'll hold off the draw for the county until the divisions are finished. I've heard that these draw will be in August. Will each division be finished in August? With Peter Kelleher, the O'Driscolls x 3 , Seamus Harnedy, Kevin Crowley, Mark Ellis, Colm O'Neill all playing junior I wonder.
producer ben

Postby producer ben » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 am

Any idea of who the favourites for hurling and football are? Kilmurry play Uibh Laoire in the first round next week, you'd imagine there's a good chance both will meet again further on in the year. Knocknagree in Duhallow, Ballyclough in Avondhu, Carbery is a minefield. One of those four and the two that'll emerge from Carbery. I assume we can rule out contenders from Carrigdhoun, Seandun and Beara though Shamrocks went to the county final last year.
Hardman

Postby Hardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:59 am

producer ben wrote:Any idea of who the favourites for hurling and football are? Kilmurry play Uibh Laoire in the first round next week, you'd imagine there's a good chance both will meet again further on in the year. Knocknagree in Duhallow, Ballyclough in Avondhu, Carbery is a minefield. One of those four and the two that'll emerge from Carbery. I assume we can rule out contenders from Carrigdhoun, Seandun and Beara though Shamrocks went to the county final last year.

I'd imagine Kilmichael and Kilmurry will be strong. Carbery is significantly weakened now that Bandon and Gabriels are gone. I hear Kilmacabea and going well, St Marys won't be far away. Carrigdhoun Seandun and Beara have nothing. Did Ballyclough come out last year? I'd fancy knocknagree

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”