The next Cork football manager

vanillabear360

Re: The next Cork football manager

Postby vanillabear360 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am

tipp-ex wrote:http://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Dual-Cork-role-for-new-boss-Ronan-McCarthy-ad17ffe2-5784-470b-8cd8-105cee3a87e2-ds

“In the last 12 months we’ve made the decision to move away from the term ‘manager’ to coach, because the coach is the important role.

“Our policy from here on is that we’ll be appointing coaches as opposed to managers"

Can someone explain to me this idea above that the board have come up with. Is it a good idea? Where did it coome from?

Also, why did McCarthy get 3 years as opposed to the normal 2 in Cork?

Id say the county board wanted to pick someone who would be on the training pitch as opposed to a manager who will be coordinator and overseer.. Basically they are getting 2 for the price of one. Rightly or wrongly? that is a matter of opinion. I don't think it would have changed much in Ronan Mc's eyes, he would be hands on anyway, it just changed the selection criteria for the CCB.

In relation to the 3 years, id say they wanted to come across as putting faith in the manager. The last two managers were under huge pressure after year one to succeed as they were in the final year of their term.

I would not see those moves as revolutionary just trying something different and seeing where we are at in 3 years time.. I wish him all the best.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Two for the price of one was probably a big attraction alright. Nearly new stadia don't come cheap. My money would be on Aldi to get the naming rights over their competitors. Can't see the powers that be being happy to call their life's work a 'Lidl' stadium.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 am

Very good, Twohands! But maybe, they don't see things as clearly as you. Money is bad for the eyesight, you know. But then, again, the Lidl Stadium sounds so folksy.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am

The more I read about Ronan McCarthy, the more hopeful I get. Seems like a no-nonsense guy who knows what he wants and what he wants is a winning mentality.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 am

Have we seen this - seems conservative

http://gaacork.ie/news/10028542/cork_fo ... pointments
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Very good to see a speedy appointment of selectors. Delighted to see Eamon Ryan re appointed plus the linking of u20 panel to the seniors is also a positive move. Sean Hayes and Ciaran O'Sullivan are well rounded individuals with plenty oy experience. I wish them well in their endeavours to bring some credibility to Cork football.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Mixed views.

Very happy to see Eamon Ryan back. I have no end of time for him.

Wouldn't be convinced with Sean Hayes's teams when I've seen them and not at all sure that he's got the experience to merit inclusion as a senior selector.

Ciarán O' Sullivan was a superb player and a serious competitor but has no managerial experience whatsoever. Again, not sure how his CV justifies his elevation (again) to one of the top four positions in Cork football.

Delighted to see Bobbie O' Dwyer promoted to Under-17's. Anyone I know who has worked with him or for him rates him extremely highly.

Best of luck to them all. Let's hope that they're given the resources to succeed.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 pm

I suppose the Sean Hayes thing is because it was deemed to have worked with Myler with the hurlers. Whether that was because that was the right man or the right structure is another matter but a direct liason with the U-20's is no bad idea.

Otherwise, it seems to be Lanigan's Ball where selector's are concerned.

On the face of it after being involved with the last crew you'd imagine that Eamonn Ryan used up quite a bit of credit. But looking closer, whether true or not the word on the grapevine is that he was marginalised when it came to actual coaching. He's shrewd old stager and you'd have to imagine if he didn't see something in the players he wouldn't be wasting his time at this hour of his life.

Ciaran O'Sullivan was one of the finest players of his generation. In his last stint he covered more grass than many of the players. I'd be very surprised if too many men shirked their responsibilities under his watch. He also ticks the "ligind" box that our coaching tickets like to have. Someone the players will automatcically look up to and respect. Thing is though given the age profile, is he a hero to these lads. They probably heard of his exploits and the respect he gets from those who watched him, but I wonder would he be what the likes of say Ray Cummins, Declan barron, Kevin Jer were to me. Names from a different era.

In saying that it seems a nice tight group. Two (relatively young men), with an experienced old stager and the U-20 liaison. No big committe meetings needed to make a substitution or switch.

Any word on S&C? From leaders in the field with the 08-12 group we now seem miles behind.

Best of luchk to them all - hope they nail it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I like the set up. Onwards and upwards now
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 pm

All good football men. Whether they are the right blend only time will tell. Hopefully we'll see Cork playing with a bit of spirit next year and, more importantly we'll see a group of players who can tackle, break down defences and look comfortable with the systems they play. A goalkeeper who can kick out the ball accurately to people standing more than 20 yards away would be nice too.

Best of luck to them all.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”