The next Cork football manager

CORKFAN

Re: The next Cork football manager

Postby CORKFAN » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 pm

I would be happy that they kept people involved from the previous managements despite the very poor record over the last 4 seasons there still was some good work done behind the scenes so no point in getting rid of all of that and starting from scratch again. I think under McCarthy and his selectors that Cork will be at least very competitive next season i am sure of that , funny enough i am a bit suprised Eamon Ryan has stayed on with respects to him he will nearly be 80 in three years time ! good luck to him ...Ronan is no fool so i think he knows how important Ryan is going to be to the setup . The only thing that worrys me about the whole process is that John Cleary was not approached he surely deserved that and i believe he was interested in getting involved.
Nemo Ranger

Postby Nemo Ranger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Im excited with this pick. We have a good pool of players in the County and once he gets the house in order we'll be ok. Getting promoted is important. Kerry are not great and very beatable. I think we have the players in the County to do that. Dublin are in a different league right now, I think promotion a Munster title and a semi final appearance would be great in the first year. It's doable i think.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Hopefully the new management will find new players as well players like Mark Sugrue, Dan McEoin , Cathal Vaughan when fit , Sean Kiely, younger players like Cian Kiely, Anthony Casey, Ronan O Toole, Dan O Duninn, Kevin Flahive, Sean Wilson, Don Driscoll....i believe we have loads of talent .
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Are they retaining the s&c guy? Otherwise it's 6 in 6 years
Caughtforpace

Postby Caughtforpace » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:02 pm

greatbleddyman wrote:Have we seen this - seems conservative

http://gaacork.ie/news/10028542/cork_fo ... pointments

Not exactly inspiring or even slightly left field as I had hoped.
I really hope Ryan's track record and credibility is not intended to be used as a shield against criticism, not that it did that for Peadar.
At least Hayes presence could keep Nemo doing you know what from within the tent, rather than the reverse.

Above is not intended as a criticism but as a bit of food for thought.

Good article from the Finuge Orthodontist

September 3 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times
Quiet contemplation can bring cohesion to Kerry, not crisis
Paul Galvin

County must emulate approach that has brought success for their underage teams.

There has been some bloodletting in Kerry this past week following our defeat to Mayo. We’d do well to put the knives back in the drawers now and take a deep breath. Bloodletting, roaring and shouting won’t get us back to the top table. Silence, solitude and some holistic thinking might.

It’s probably best to take that wider view of operations when you lose. At underage level in Kerry measures have been taken to bring some cohesion to the way under 14s, 16s and minors prepare and progress. Consistent success has come as a result. At senior level we’ve been inconsistent.

Since 2007 we have three All-Irelands and lost three finals, three semis and two quarter-finals. Despite those wins, the form line has been a bit erratic, certainly compared to Dublin and, to a different extent, Mayo. This is where Kerry must take their measure of consistency from at the moment, like it or not.

Some might argue there is consistency in the above record but it’s been too up and down. A drone’s view would be much more beneficial for the future than blaming individuals. Eamonn Fitzmaurice and county chairman Tim Murphy should be allowed to do this review.

I can’t help looking at it like a business. Where are the holes in the operation? How do we fill them? Do we need to create new positions in keeping with the marketplace and the competition? With the correct training structures, processes and people in place you can build consistency.

Dublin and Mayo have been the two most consistent teams of the last six years. Since 2011 Mayo’s remarkable consistency is unfortunately matched by their consistent inability to win an All-Ireland.

Dublin are a whole other matter. Jim Gavin seems to have mastered the art of zooming into the detail of preparing and running a team and zooming out for that holistic view, taking in the bigger picture: tomorrow, next week, next month, next year; a hole in the operation here, an appointment there. With that in mind, I felt last weekend that Diarmuid Connolly’s return wasn’t the 100% positive people were making it out to be. Dublin had done their business efficiently without him and won back public sentiment in doing so. It would be foolish for Gavin to ignore the importance of winning the public back over since the high summer outburst after Connolly’s Carlow incident. And as we already know he is nobody’s fool.

The reality is these incidents have ramifications for teams chasing multiple All-Irelands. Lose favour in the corridors of power at Croke Park, RTE or the wider media and you quickly lose favour in the stands. Human nature is such that negativity and becoming dislikeable spreads much more insidiously than positivity and being likeable. Before you know it you’re on the wrong end of a big call in a tight game.

At present Dublin have a bunch of poster-boys-next-door in their ranks and it’s doing them the world of good. Con O’Callaghan, Dean Rock, Paul Mannion, Ciaran Kilkenny, Paddy Andrews, Brian Fenton, Jack McCaffrey, and Cian O’Sullivan each have toughness in their own right, but they won’t outwardly rock the casbah as Connolly or a few more might.

It was hard to envisage him introducing Connolly in the 69th minute against Tyrone, but in doing so Gavin said a lot. It looks like he is not prepared to countenance a Diarmuid Connolly/Lee Keegan sideshow in the weeks leading up to the final. Connolly is already a non-starter for the final unless something drastic like injuries occur in the meantime. You have to admire Gavin’s resolve for that.

I also had to admire the way Dublin disabled Tyrone last Sunday by playing without a full-forward line when in transition. They dropped their inside line on to the 45 with Rock and Mannion playing high and wide and Andrews and O’Callaghan staying very deep. That left Colm Cavanagh like an island in front of goal with nothing to sweep only grass.

The problem with sweepers in football was never the role itself but the position of the opposing full-forward line in facilitating the sweeper system by playing in conventional positions. The way to kill the sweeper was always to remove or withdraw the full forward line when in transition and build-up, making a sweeper defunct.

Dublin have now copped this and it makes them even more dangerous. This small detail seems to have gone unnoticed, but that’s the super-zoom focus in key areas that makes Dublin what they are.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”