The next Cork football manager

tipp-ex

Re: The next Cork football manager

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:48 pm

greatbleddyman wrote:Apologies for the stupidity above - its of course on the county board website by the way they have announced him as "coach"

They seem to think they've stumbled upon some magic formula due to the 'success' of the John Meyler appointment and they're following that model everywhere now. Maybe it'll work.
Best of luck to McCarthy, not a hard job to improve on the past 2 year nightmare
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Voice of P ui C wrote:Good appointment. The fact it was speedily done gives Ronan a chance to access what's available in the latter stages of the Co Championship.With his previous experience as a selector he will have a good idea of the calibre of person needed. Wishing him the best of luck in the task ahead. I hope all rightminded Cork football fans give him the time and space to mould a successful panel and not subject him to vile personal abuse and comment which the previous two managers had to.put up with. Corcaigh Abu.

Take it handy there V o Pui C, when supporters and keyboard warriors see Cork senior footballers playing below their capabilities and losing ignominiously to weaker counties, struggling to beat Waterford, etc, etc, they surely have the right to comment on these performances. I haven't seen any personal attacks on either Cubby or Healy here, but only legitimate and true comment on obvious mistakes by management. Relegation to Div. 2 was the straw that broke the camels back for most people and the failure to get the hell out of there didn't float many boats either. Please don't tell us to take that without comment.
Time will tell if it's a good appointment. I'm willing to give him a long chance but am hearing that he's not highly regarded by some that should know, despite winning a championship with Ross. We shall see, and I wish him lots of good luck.
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I have no problem with anyone's right to comment, ' that is free speech' a God given right in a democracy. But some of the stuff written, not all on this forum, over the last four years left alot to be desired. By all means criticise the ability to coach and manage a football team, Bringing family and job related issues into it is way over the top.Let's all move on for the betterment of Cork football and the players and people involved.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

I always find this forum, fairly balanced eben when things are at their most frustrating.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Neither a surprising nor a groundbreaking appointment. But at least its an appointment...and swift enough at that.

Although twas never gonna happen I would have preferred an outsider myself. A new voice, some new ideas, and most importantly of all - no baggage or allegiances. I think Cork have missed a trick here...but as I say it was never gonna happen.

Saying all that, I wish Ronan all the very best. A tough job & long road ahead. Cork football is in dire need to be re-energised. McCarthy's selectors & backroom team will be crucial, and would hope to see some sort of left-field appointments there.

Anyway, hope everyone rallies around to try and get Cork football moving in a progressive manner in 2018.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Voice of P ui C wrote:I have no problem with anyone's right to comment, ' that is free speech' a God given right in a democracy. But some of the stuff written, not all on this forum, over the last four years left alot to be desired. By all means criticise the ability to coach and manage a football team, Bringing family and job related issues into it is way over the top.Let's all move on for the betterment of Cork football and the players and people involved.

Give us some examples of this family and job related issues there
Caughtforpace

Postby Caughtforpace » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Only viable internal appointment. Nobody can question his coaching credentials or playing pedigree unlike the two previous coaches. A superbly committed player who was one of our most consistent performers during that fairly fallow period. I think he played in both defence and attack at senior intercounty level.
Analyses the game well but whether he persists with a handful of players that have been knocking around the panel for a few years without making any real impact, including his Ross protege John O Rourke (Corks answer to Declan O Sullivan according to RMcC), will be his first acid test.
Best of luck to the man.

They say "it's the hope that kills you"
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:29 pm

Voice of P ui C wrote:I have no problem with anyone's right to comment, ' that is free speech' a God given right in a democracy. But some of the stuff written, not all on this forum, over the last four years left alot to be desired. By all means criticise the ability to coach and manage a football team, Bringing family and job related issues into it is way over the top.Let's all move on for the betterment of Cork football and the players and people involved.

What are you talking about? Nothing like that has ever happened here.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm

There really was only two candidates from within Cork. I would've preferred Cleary as he has Inter-County Managerial experience with the Under-21's and his CV is far better than McCarthy's. Annoying that he never even got a call or an interview, if my Haven contacts are right.

Annoying also that the clubs were cut out of the process and only five people (or one person, if you're cynical) anointed their chosen man. If at first, you don't succeed!

Having said all that, I wish him well. It's no easy job, so fair play to him.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Dorcha wrote:

What are you talking about? Nothing like that has ever happened here.

100% correct. This forum has never had any personal stuff on it.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”