The next Cork football manager

Maurice Banks

Re: The next Cork football manager

Postby Maurice Banks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 pm

greatbleddyman wrote:I always find this forum, fairly balanced eben when things are at their most frustrating.

Agreed. Comment here is generally well thought out and reasonable (and often more insightful than in the national media) and long may that continue.
Mayo management were likened to donkeys on a national paper during the week and someone got paid to write that!
Best of luck to Ronan McCarthy and whatever management team he puts in place.
Go n-eiri libh.
Voice of P ui C

Postby Voice of P ui C » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Sorry if I tread on some people's sensitivities
Typo error. Should have read, "not on this Forum.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Nothing against McCarthy whatsoever, but i'd still like to know who else was approached for the position and how he was chosen over same.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Voice of P ui C wrote:Sorry if I tread on some people's sensitivities
Typo error. Should have read, "not on this Forum.

Was thinking that Voice. Some stuff on other forums would make you cringe at times and I'd say everyone agrees with your sentiments.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 am

Best of luck to him. It's a tough job on one level but, given what has happened and where we now stand, an easy one in other ways. Getting out of Division 2 and being as good as Kildare or Armagh or Monaghan should hardly be beyond us and for all the guff about giving him 18 months before we judge we should accept nothing less than promotion and a quarter final next year. That and a performance in Munster that suggests there is some pride in the jersey and some thought gone into it on the sideline.

I'm sorry to drag up old woes, but the appointment process stinks and I have reservations about a manager who would accept a role under it. We had three strikes when the top table chose their men. Whatever you think about any of them, the core issue in all was the level of interference and lack of real support from people who had no business going beyond administration. This, and the way the clubs have been treated (and allowed themselves to be treated) like nodding donkeys again, is like watching storm clouds gather while persuading yourself that the leaks in the roof will be grand with a bit of fresh paint on the walls. Ger Lane pontificates about the great success they've experienced using this system on the hurling side as if that success was the result of the board's appointments rather than the initial and still fragile result (finally) of introducing a development system many had been crying out for for years. Even the idea of linking the U21 and senior selectors is one we had to borrow from other successful counties. There was a time when we wanted to be leaders, but now it seems we are happy to be slightly more successful followers.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 am

I too worry about the process but the Examiner has stated that a number of names were looked at and they ended up giving it to McCarthy I hope he has not taking it on there terms like going to Fermoy again for winter training etc...John Cleary seemed interested on that interview on tg4 was he contacted or was he interested it would be nice to know ...and what PODSY has said it does not look like he was....very very important that McCarthy now gets the very best backroom with him.....one other thing the extremely fast appointment was and is with an eye towards the Super 8 for sure and that has got to be the ambition for next season....like it or not its where every county wants to end up next year ...and for other reasons that's what Frank and Lane want too :) :)
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:02 am

On appointments of managers, cork are no different to anyone else imo, the executive decide. The last process involved ex players and club reps and of course an inglorious intervention from players which turned out to be a disaster.... .many Of The same players didn't cover themselves with glory on the playing fields over the last few years either. I notice this episode is always glossed over as we heap and blame on the board (much of it deserved I agree)
Within cork mccarthy is at least as qualified as any Of The other contenders which in effect was cleary who as been managing ladies minor footballers, while mccarthy has led a team to their first county.
The clubs have allowed themselves become irrelevant in these types of processes and therefore thr executive have plowed ahead. O would presume the pairc with g amd plastic pitch will become the base?
With the right backroom team, some smarts and picking the best squad promotion, munster final and performances in super 8 should be easily achievable, and then the process becomes irrelevant
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:37 pm

CORKFAN wrote:I too worry about the process but the Examiner has stated that a number of names were looked at and they ended up giving it to McCarthy I hope he has not taking it on there terms like going to Fermoy again for winter training etc...John Cleary seemed interested on that interview on tg4 was he contacted or was he interested it would be nice to know ...and what PODSY has said it does not look like he was....very very important that McCarthy now gets the very best backroom with him.....one other thing the extremely fast appointment was and is with an eye towards the Super 8 for sure and that has got to be the ambition for next season....like it or not its where every county wants to end up next year ...and for other reasons that's what Frank and Lane want too :) :)

Who?
Spongebob

Postby Spongebob » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:10 pm

I saw Ronan McCarthy at a Ballincollig v Muskerry game a few weeks back. Possibly he knew then.

I have one hope only for the Cork team, and that is players that are on form are picked. Form must include club games. It can't be just form in training as how are we ever going to widen the net to get better players or ensure that we have the best team in the county on the field.

If Ronan McCarthy was looking at the same game I was, then he will get on the phone and do everything humanly possible to persuade Paddy Kelly to come out of retirement. If he is successful in that he will then make him captain. Paddy Kelly is the form player in Cork. He is young enough. He has plenty to offer. We need him. Badly.

From the club championship(I have seen many matches), I can think of very few of the current squad that demand inclusion - Tomas Clancy and Stephen Cronin are the probable exceptions. Sean Powter , Ian Maguire and Donncha O'Connor performance with Cork suggests they should be included. Apart from those five, I think the entire squad should be opened up. Far, far too many of last year's squad are not playing well enough.Not a question of ability and certainly nothing personal; just not on form.

Hopefully, as somebody else said, Ronan Mc goes to a lot of remaining games in the championship and chooses the players that are playing well. Ronan O'Toole, Micheal O'Laoire, Sean Kiely, Cian Dorgan, Ciaran O'Sullivan are players he may start with. Not saying they are better than what is there already. I cannot know that. They are good players that stand out in our club championship.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

This coach/manager thing seems a bit vague. If he does have to fulfil both roles I think it's a huge ask of any man. I thought Kieran Kingston was manager of hurlers and Pat Ryan did most of coaching but maybe I'm wrong.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”