The next Cork football manager

Podsy

Re: The next Cork football manager

Postby Podsy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Maurice Banks wrote:This coach/manager thing seems a bit vague. If he does have to fulfil both roles I think it's a huge ask of any man. I thought Kieran Kingston was manager of hurlers and Pat Ryan did most of coaching but maybe I'm wrong.

You're right, Mossy. That's definitely the set-up. No idea why all this confusion is necessary and - to be honest - Ger Lane sounds confused too.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:35 am

Spongebob wrote:I saw Ronan McCarthy at a Ballincollig v Muskerry game a few weeks back. Possibly he knew then.

I have one hope only for the Cork team, and that is players that are on form are picked. Form must include club games. It can't be just form in training as how are we ever going to widen the net to get better players or ensure that we have the best team in the county on the field.

If Ronan McCarthy was looking at the same game I was, then he will get on the phone and do everything humanly possible to persuade Paddy Kelly to come out of retirement. If he is successful in that he will then make him captain. Paddy Kelly is the form player in Cork. He is young enough. He has plenty to offer. We need him. Badly.

From the club championship(I have seen many matches), I can think of very few of the current squad that demand inclusion - Tomas Clancy and Stephen Cronin are the probable exceptions. Sean Powter , Ian Maguire and Donncha O'Connor performance with Cork suggests they should be included. Apart from those five, I think the entire squad should be opened up. Far, far too many of last year's squad are not playing well enough.Not a question of ability and certainly nothing personal; just not on form.

Hopefully, as somebody else said, Ronan Mc goes to a lot of remaining games in the championship and chooses the players that are playing well. Ronan O'Toole, Micheal O'Laoire, Sean Kiely, Cian Dorgan, Ciaran O'Sullivan are players he may start with. Not saying they are better than what is there already. I cannot know that. They are good players that stand out in our club championship.

Seamus Hickey (Rockchapel) to boot. Good scouting is paramount here. DOC, P O'Neill came out of the woodwork 'cause the woodwork was studied.
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Any sign/rumour of a backroom team?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:00 pm

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Dua ... e3a87e2-ds

“In the last 12 months we’ve made the decision to move away from the term ‘manager’ to coach, because the coach is the important role.

“Our policy from here on is that we’ll be appointing coaches as opposed to managers"

Can someone explain to me this idea above that the board have come up with. Is it a good idea? Where did it coome from?

Also, why did McCarthy get 3 years as opposed to the normal 2 in Cork?
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm

tipp-ex wrote:http://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Dual-Cork-role-for-new-boss-Ronan-McCarthy-ad17ffe2-5784-470b-8cd8-105cee3a87e2-ds

“In the last 12 months we’ve made the decision to move away from the term ‘manager’ to coach, because the coach is the important role.

“Our policy from here on is that we’ll be appointing coaches as opposed to managers"

Can someone explain to me this idea above that the board have come up with. Is it a good idea? Where did it coome from?

Also, why did McCarthy get 3 years as opposed to the normal 2 in Cork?

Ah Tipp you are way behind the times. This is the new terminology for keeping the supporters in the dark.
I think three years is also the new way to sort out team management as the board have other things to be thinking about like getting the field ready for rock concerts and rugger world cup. This team management stuff is a proper nuisance.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:49 pm

tipp-ex wrote:
Can someone explain to me this idea above that the board have come up with.

Well, the board didn't come up with it, Tipp-Ex.

What has happened is that five unnamed members of the Executive have come up with it, and the board haven't been consulted whatsoever.

Even by the completely undemocratic standards of the Executive what has happened in the last few weeks is brazen and indefensible.
Caughtforpace

Postby Caughtforpace » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Seems to be a bit of backhanded negativity towards RMcC already both here and with the few people I discussed it with over the weekend. We all have our reservations and opinions about appointments but what is it that people want exactly? His playing and coaching credentials qualify him to be given this opportunity. Who cares whether he is referred to as coach or manager and from such a low base, 3 years is not an unreasonable term for any management to bed in and build towards success . Bottom line, its his head on the chopping block and fair dues to him for putting it there. Lets not conflate our legitimate grievances with the CCB and this mans appointment. Get behind him until there is good reason not to.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Caughtforpace wrote:Seems to be a bit of backhanded negativity towards RMcC already both here and with the few people I discussed it with over the weekend. We all have our reservations and opinions about appointments but what is it that people want exactly? His playing and coaching credentials qualify him to be given this opportunity. Who cares whether he is referred to as coach or manager and from such a low base, 3 years is not an unreasonable term for any management to bed in and build towards success . Bottom line, its his head on the chopping block and fair dues to him for putting it there. Lets not conflate our legitimate grievances with the CCB and this mans appointment. Get behind him until there is good reason not to.

Agree 100%.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Caughtforpace wrote: Lets not conflate our legitimate grievances with the CCB and this mans appointment.

Agree completely.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Caughtforpace wrote:Seems to be a bit of backhanded negativity towards RMcC already both here and with the few people I discussed it with over the weekend. We all have our reservations and opinions about appointments but what is it that people want exactly? His playing and coaching credentials qualify him to be given this opportunity. Who cares whether he is referred to as coach or manager and from such a low base, 3 years is not an unreasonable term for any management to bed in and build towards success . Bottom line, its his head on the chopping block and fair dues to him for putting it there. Lets not conflate our legitimate grievances with the CCB and this mans appointment. Get behind him until there is good reason not to.

I asked 3 questions, legimate questions I might add. Where's the negativity?

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”