Cork Flags and symbols

Maurice Banks

Re: Cork Flags and symbols

Postby Maurice Banks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 pm

To be honest Dorcha when all the furore about the flag at Cork matches blew up recently I was at a loss as to what the problem was. When I was younger I'd always enjoyed the idea of Cork being the rebel south and taking on everyone to our north which is almost the whole country. I remember around the time Cork won in 99, either the Irish Times or Independent ran with a headline containing the words 'the aristocrats of the deep South' to refer to our hurlers so even the media had the idea.
I never once went to a Cork match and on seeing the confederate flag thought for one second, oh there are the white supremacists up in the terrace. I was more concerned with green and gold supremacists and black and amber ones who rattled our net with ease at times. I can't vouch for the lads with the flags but I don't think they had any racist motivation either.
The point I'm making is that the confederate flag was a harmless thing in my mind and had no racial connotations. I don't remember hearing many complaints about it until relatively recently either.
I also think that recently we became a lightning rod for misplaced anger in this country (against the white supremacists and maybe even Trump) and that can be frustrating when you meant no harm. Eoghan Harris wrote last week about Cork Rabble who got their American Civil War education from watching Gone with the Wind. I must be one of the rabble but frankly Eoghan I don't give a damn if you think that!
Eamonn Sweeney who wants to set all the flags on fire asked the question how would Cork people feel if an NBA team had supporters who carried a Black and Tans symbol to their games. As someone who had close relatives who suffered at their hands I can say I'd be bemused by it rather than offended but I can only speak for myself.
However, I have had to change my mind about the flag, even though I still feel much reaction to it being flown at Cork matches has been OTT.
Last week I listened to a lot of discussions on the radio and read up on it and it appears the confederate flag has now become a symbol of hate for a lot of horrendous, white supremacists in America where black people and Jews must be living in fear, and for whom the flag must be a symbol of fear. For that reason I think it would be wise and correct for us now to put the confederate flag away.
The commentator thing is madness though!
Last edited by Maurice Banks on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Or was it my posts you were referring to as madness Dorcha? You could be right!
Turenne

Postby Turenne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 am

Well said Maurice.

This whole 'well I'm unaware of the history of the flag, and I'm not going to bother my hole reading up on it' excuse is for kiddies, not for grown-ups. Intentional ignorance is no kind of excuse, and 'because I can' is no kind of justification.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am

It's mostly the recent events in the US that made me change my mind Turenne. I had a different viewpoint up to last week to be honest. I still don't like how some people are vilifying Cork fans in the media though, as if there is some racial ideology at play because I don't think there is. The only ideology involved, in my opinion, is a state of mind in Cork that we are the Rebels and we'll take on the Kingdom and the Dubs and the Cats and the Premier etc and the flag became one of our symbols for that and I can see exactly how it did. Some of our betters might think that is unsophisticated but following Cork teams is an escape from the drudgery of everyday life and one of the enjoyable things in life and to have media commentators casting aspersions, in an over the top manner, on us was disappointing.
With what is going on in places like Charlottesville though I think it is in good taste to no longer fly the flag.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:18 am

Let's never impose our own opinions and prejudices on anyone else, or see evil motives or an intention to cause offence where none exists. None of us can claim to understand the motives of others. To me it's simply an old intolerance being replaced by a new intolerance. The line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise we'll go around afraid to open our mouths.

I was hoping that this thread would slide down out of sight and mind, and leave the flag wavers to make their own choices among themselves. The prevalence of the flags of all nations had been on the wane until some self-righteous people brought it up again. Some people can't bear to see other people having fun.

There are probably few countries on the face of the earth who haven't held slaves or being enslaved themselves at some period in their history, the Irish among them. History is something you should learn from, not something you should hold a grudge about.
Corcaigh Abú

Postby Corcaigh Abú » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

What a load of auld bollix from people who probably have no interest in GAA anyway. Dublin fans on Hill 16 (and right-on left wing numpties in Dublin corporation over public buildings) fly the flag of an organisation whose stated aim is to wipe an entire country off the face of the Earth. But hey kids, blindly supporting the Palestinians and demonising Israel is cool this week amongst the illiberal 'liberals' who hog the media with sanctimonious pick-and-chose-your-'cause' bullshit and issue fatwas on whomever 'deserves' it i.e. anyone who has an alternative opinion to them. Some of our dear neighbours fly Brazil ( a country who outlawed slavery a lot later than the US) flags but whose taking it up with them? Let it be remembered that nobody was abducted from Africa into slavery in America under the stars and bars, they were all abducted under previous incarnations of the stars and stripes. So ban the US flag too? Ban the Irish tricolour while we are at it. After all, it causes offence to a lot of people north of the border who saw family and friends murdered by people who appropriated it for their own means. Me, I'm off to listen to my Lynrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers collection and watch me auld VHS tapes of The Dukes of Hazzard. Yeehaw, rebel 'til I die!
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm

:D Welcome back Corcaigh Abú
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Corcaigh Abú wrote:What a load of auld bollix from people who probably have no interest in GAA anyway. Dublin fans on Hill 16 (and right-on left wing numpties in Dublin corporation over public buildings) fly the flag of an organisation whose stated aim is to wipe an entire country off the face of the Earth. But hey kids, blindly supporting the Palestinians and demonising Israel is cool this week amongst the illiberal 'liberals' who hog the media with sanctimonious pick-and-chose-your-'cause' bullshit and issue fatwas on whomever 'deserves' it i.e. anyone who has an alternative opinion to them. Some of our dear neighbours fly Brazil ( a country who outlawed slavery a lot later than the US) flags but whose taking it up with them? Let it be remembered that nobody was abducted from Africa into slavery in America under the stars and bars, they were all abducted under previous incarnations of the stars and stripes. So ban the US flag too? Ban the Irish tricolour while we are at it. After all, it causes offence to a lot of people north of the border who saw family and friends murdered by people who appropriated it for their own means. Me, I'm off to listen to my Lynrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers collection and watch me auld VHS tapes of The Dukes of Hazzard. Yeehaw, rebel 'til I die!

Great post, well said that man
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 am

Does the flag of a 150 year old failed state, that is now synonymous with violent racism, mean that much to ye that ye can't leave it at home?

There are goal-posts being moved here, I don't think any right thinking person is accusing Cork supporters of openly advocating neo-nazi's but they are suggesting that it is crass to fly a flag (presumably unthinkingly) that represents the lowest dregs of humanity.

I'm a proud Cork GAA man and I hate the thought I might be even obliquely associated with those wastes of oxygen.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”