Cork Footballers 2018

Twohands

Re: Cork Footballers 2018

Postby Twohands » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Plan our footballing year without reference to our neighbours? Under the current provincial system? Are things about to get even worse for us?

Maybe it's an inferiority complex. Or maybe it's a gleeful reaction to when the superiority complex falls flat on its face.

Some of their supporters want a leg up now, apparently, calling for the super 8s to start with the provincial winners playing the team who came through the qualifiers at home first to give them an easier run at it. Apparently having to play another provincial winner in a neutral venue didn't help the cause at all (even though that other provincial winner was also playing a provincial winner in a neutral venue and managed to both win and qualify). You couldn't make it up sometimes so I can understand Ranty's predicament about which pub to lock himself in down there this winter.

I can see Ranty watching the cream settle atop his pint while quietly suggesting that maybe this year shows that the Ulster championship is the strongest so maybe to even things up all the Ulster teams who make the super 8s despite having to play in that provincial championship should have home games against anyone who is not from Ulster...
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Jack Spratt wrote:This obsession with Kerry is becoming unhealthy for some posters. Your inferiority complex is shining through like the Southen star on a clear night.

Some posters are like a pauper who has found someone who they think is heading towards poverty also and think this will help their situation.

Kerry are not headed for football poverty or anything near it, they will challenge any team they play next year.

Cork, forget about the neighbours and plan you footballing year and expectations accordingly.

Kerry are excellent and have wonderful skilful players. Players with condition and experience, even the younger lads. They have hard players, dirty players, or clever players, take you pick, but they have them. Perspective is important. How many teams in the country would have handled that Kerry team on Sat night, not many I guess.

You are kinda sweet on them yourself Jack. The rest of us are just having a bit of fun on a Monday. I'm a bit like Bob Geldorf myself when it comes to Mondays.
Sure we know they will be back, but in the meantime let the fun begin.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Look, no less than the next Cork football man, I enjoyed Kerry being shown up short in the Super 8s, but it annoys me that the Cork players as a group were so poor against them and against Tyrone. I don't know the nooks and crannies of what has been going on in the Cork camp over recent years but it is obvious that there are some players who simply are not good enough or not putting the effort in. You can forgive and respect the former, while wishing them adieu, but the latter are an insult to their coaches, their fellow players, and Cork supporters. The bad eggs are known to most of us and it will be interesting to see if they are around in early 2019.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am

I know what you are saying Exile. But sure we have to fine something to smile about and the lads across the bounds deliver quality stuff when their collective angry wasp reaction kicks in.

This was one of the worst years for Cork football in living memory. We weren't just a pity. We were a disgrace to the jersey at times. But in some respects the big difference between this year and some other years was that our one decent performance of the year came at the start of the championship rather than closer to the end. The years it came closer to the end at least gave (usually false) hope that some small corner had been turned and that next year might bring progress. This year that comfort blanket isn't there.

So we are hopefully at rock bottom and can find a group of players ready to start climbing back up again. It isn't going to be easy and we need to set realistic targets. Success for Cork football next year is not the same as success would have been last year or the year before. Forget about winning things. Probably even forget about targeting promotion. Next year we probably need to target just getting a consistent run of decent performances and finding a few players. Sad to say that survival in divisIon two on points rather than scoring difference and a competitive outing in all championship matches would be progress. That's where we are.

It's possible that there are players on the panel who are used to more, or who think the sacrifices they make aren't worth it for that. If so, then I could understand that. But they should just step aside and let it to people who are willing to put in the graft and stick to the rules. If there is any doubt about that in their minds or in Mangement's then they must go.

There has been a lot of focus on the players since we exited the championship. That's understandable. But, while not advocating hate mail, I hope the management are being honest about what they need to do too. I have no doubt they threw heart and soul into it last year. But they have to accept that results and performances over the course of a year don't lie, their contribution wasn't good enough to drive us forward and that they have some changes to make to how they go about things too. Sending out a fit team that can withstand physical challenges would be a start.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Almost incredible that eight short years ago Cork senior footballers won the All Ireland and the minors were unlucky to lose by a point to a good Tyrone team containing three of the current senior team and one sub. Their current No 11 Niall Sludden was No 5, Richard Donnelly now No 14 was No 10 and Hugh Pat McGeary was in his own spot at No4. Ronan O Neill was No 15 that day but isn't starting these days as well as Darren McCurry and Padraig McNulty or Darren McCurry and full back Conor Clarke.

John O Rourke and Brian Hurley are the only survivors of the Cork team to play senior these days. Luke Connolly was a used sub that day but didn't score. From the backs we sadly lost Jamie Wall who is fighting bravely with poor health. He was outstanding that day in 2010.
Tom Clancy Clon is gone to the USA. Damien Cahalane was very good at No 9 but now lost to the small ball. His midfield partner that day Jamie Burns ( Barrs) played sound defensive football v Nemo in last years two finals and I felt merited a call to Ronan's squad before his team mate Sam Ryan.

From this alone it's clear that eight of that Tyrone team are still either playing are hanging around the senior set up, while we have only three. We really should have won that game as a poor start followed by a flukey goal gave Tyrone a 1-5 to zero lead after 20 minutes. Once more the Duffy family from Sligo didn't exactly endear themselves to rebel supporters as Marty's big brother Michael blew us for a few phantom fouls that didn't happen to the other side.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:46 am

Norrback wrote:Meeting happened

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/Co ... 33a2e6c-ds

Does it matter? - up for debate I suppose

Football needs to be much more attractive as a "product" for it's target market - sorry for the business speak but it is appropriate here.

Lemme guess. A disappointment few teams but there's still great work going; look at b the u16 foootballeers winning the Munter

Silence.

So a few committees with the usual suspects will discuss back and it one or to of em might use fix a leack in a hose pipe.

How I doing?
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:53 am

Dorcha wrote:I note that it will be Tuesday August 14th before proposals are brought to the county board meeting proper. Should be interesting to see what they propose. At least some effort is being made at last.

Absolutely nothing will come out that meeting. I wall last 1 hour and 2/committees sill be set up by the unusual suspects.
Next
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 am

Feck it Tipp, that black coffin you have as an avatar is depressing enough without adding to my pain with comments like that.
Don't you know that Tracy can kick with both hands. :lol:
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 am

Good post re the minor teams Ranty. I was thinking about how things have changed since then myself. If memory serves, Cubby was the manager of that Cork minor team. In the last few years football has become even more of a game where the priority is keeping possession and turning over possession with defensive strategies aimed at accepting that teams will have possession for long spells but trying to keep them from getting into shooting positions and turning over ball followed by fast breaks. That's the system those Tyrone players went on to play.

At the same time Cork were trying to build on what we believed was one of the best set of forwards in the game (a set that through a combination of injury, departure and failure to live up to the hype never really delivered in the way we'd hoped). So while the rest of the world adapted, we looked at a panel shorn of many good defenders and concentrat d on trying to build a team around a set of forwards who turned out to be over rated/too easily crowded out by masses defences. Our reaction was to try and copy mass defence by funnelling players back but they serve no purpose there most of the time as they can't/ don't tackle or put pressure on the ball (as Jimmy's winning matches likes to say). When Tyrone attacked late in the game last Sunday a shot on goal was blocked by a last ditch block by ryan McMenamin. The closest person to hi putting in a tackle was Michael Murphy. That's what's expected now. We have lads with hands on hips on the 45 having tried to cop a feel of a jersey as the lad was running past.

The result is lots of scores leaked at one end, few scored at the other end and draining confidence. Add to that a period when we have had keepers whose kick outs have been questionable and a midfield built for a different era and you have a recipie for trouble. It's sobering to think that a Kerry midfield that was pretty much wiped out for the rest of the championship made absolute wreck of ours.

Without downplaying the strengths of other parts of the team, the Cork team that won the All ireland in 2010 was first and foremost built around a strong defence/defensive system where weaknesses were overcome through the workrate of the collective. I think we had the lowest scores conceded in the league a few years in a row. Until we get back to that with a few ball winners and workhorses thrown in we will continue to be irrelevant. Getting Powter back will be like finding a new player. We just need to find a few more like him and hope that his injury hasn't affected him too much.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am

Agree with most of that Dhá Lámh but I doubt if the 2010 defensive system would cope with the attacking ploys of 2018.
Both Kerry and Tyrone showed us that when our attacks break down and their defenders break at speed and become attackers
we had no plan or system to halt their progress. They both had players comfortable with laying off the ball at lightning pace
with either hand to team mates running off the shoulder. They attacked in triangles and rectangles in well prepared moves that
we were incapable of matching.
I always say that Corkmen have as many brains and bones as everybody so I'm hopeful ( kinda) that Ronan and his backroom boys
will work on what needs to be done over the coming months and years to make Donald Trump jealous and make Cork GREAT again. :lol:

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”