Cork Hurlers 2018

Sinbin

Re: Cork Hurlers 2018

Postby Sinbin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 am

Anyone have an update on the state of health of Mark Ellis?

Could really do with his physical presence for the big game(s) ahead. Although he won't have much hurling done recently.
Big Cut No Bandage

Postby Big Cut No Bandage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am

We aren't favourites but it's only two games to go and being underdogs in a potential final against Galway might work in our favour. However first we have the small matter of the semi to surmount!

If I could choose the winners of the quarters I would rather Wexford won as that would mean a Limerick/Galway semi if they beat Kilkenny which I think they will do. They are the most dangerous of our opponents outside of Galway in my opinion and if we have to play them I would rather it be in the final.
I wouldn't be amazed either for them to do us a favour and shock Galway in a semi.

Having said all that we are Cork and we'll play it as it lies. Once we have no injuries I'll be happy.
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am

I find at the moment that the national media are unintentionally doing Cork plenty of favours. After the Leinster final replay 'the 3 wise men' on the RTE panel were talking about a 4th meeting of the sides on the 19th of August, Limerick and Cork cast aside as an afterthought.

This Cork side is far from the finished article, 6 points in the Munster league could have been 8 as easily as it could have been zero. Fine margins yes but the more a side finishes on the right side of fine margins the less of a fluke it becomes.

A quick review of the punditry of Cork's 5 championship games sees most but not all of the punditry world having undefeated Cork on 4 defeats out of 5, the Waterford game being the more favoured us than not.

In one thought I am happy at being written off but in another thought I think the players deserve a bit more credit than they are actually getting. Don't get me wrong I have no hatred towards Clare whatsover (even if the whistle should have blown in 2013) but in the week in the build up to the Munster final nearly every article I got was drooling over Clare, they're back and they're contenders and they'll reverse 2017 on Cork. A lot of post match analysis was on the Clare collapse and not the Cork fight back.

My hope is, that this Cork side continues to prove them wrong, Cyril Farrell has clearly forgotten 1990, a reminder would be nice.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

langerinexile wrote:I find at the moment that the national media are unintentionally doing Cork plenty of favours. After the Leinster final replay 'the 3 wise men' on the RTE panel were talking about a 4th meeting of the sides on the 19th of August, Limerick and Cork cast aside as an afterthought.

This Cork side is far from the finished article, 6 points in the Munster league could have been 8 as easily as it could have been zero. Fine margins yes but the more a side finishes on the right side of fine margins the less of a fluke it becomes.

A quick review of the punditry of Cork's 5 championship games sees most but not all of the punditry world having undefeated Cork on 4 defeats out of 5, the Waterford game being the more favoured us than not.

In one thought I am happy at being written off but in another thought I think the players deserve a bit more credit than they are actually getting. Don't get me wrong I have no hatred towards Clare whatsover (even if the whistle should have blown in 2013) but in the week in the build up to the Munster final nearly every article I got was drooling over Clare, they're back and they're contenders and they'll reverse 2017 on Cork. A lot of post match analysis was on the Clare collapse and not the Cork fight back.

My hope is, that this Cork side continues to prove them wrong, Cyril Farrell has clearly forgotten 1990, a reminder would be nice.

I've been saying the same myself. Not only the pundit but also 'hurling men' I work with from other counties are all dismissing Cork! It's grand tho. Let us be the underdogs. It was annoying during the munster final that they had no Cork pundit on the panel to give a Rebels point of view. A Clareamn, KK and Galway. Same again that evening.
It sits us grand tho. Let them build up the teams who comes through the quarters at the weekend. Maybe limerick fans might write another song before a ball is pucked again like 2013.
I don't think Cork will get any praise till Liam is at home by leeside.
expat

Postby expat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 am

I was in Croke Park yesterday for the double header. The attendance was 53,000 the place was quiet enough. I acknowledge that both games were not tight but I really think the atmosphere is so different to Thurles that it could be a factor in our poor performance there over the years. The one we did win in 2013 had a massive cork turnout and that helped. I am old enough to remember the 1985 semi after a dramatic and fantastic Munster Final losing in the rain in front of 7,000 to an emerging Galway. We did not play another proper Semi Final until 1999 against Offaly. We need to prepare for the Croke Park factor and as I have said before I hope Gary Keegan is on this case. Part of me also hopes its Limerick we get as they will be in a similar situation to us. Kilkenny on the other hand would be playing at "home". I know Donal Og got a bit carried away with his coin under a tree on Raglan Road that they would go back to each year 03/4/5/6 but some bit of psychological trickery is needed to break the dodgy record.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 pm

expat wrote:I know Donal Og got a bit carried away with his coin under a tree on Raglan Road that they would go back to each year 03/4/5/6 but some bit of psychological trickery is needed to break the dodgy record.

And no one ever stole it?

Today we'll know who we'll be playing. To me it doesn't matter one iota, although I'd like Limerick to win as they're a Munster team.

As far as Cork are concerned, they must be prepared to beat whoever is in front of them, as simple as that. Potential all-Ireland champions can't have doubts.
donal66

Postby donal66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 am

If Cork play like 2nd half v Clare and 1st half v Tipp we'll win.
Nothing less will do
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:28 am

donal66 wrote:If Cork play like 2nd half v Clare and 1st half v Tipp we'll win.
Nothing less will do

I am not sure I 100% agree with you. Yes I think if Cork reproduce the performances of those two halves then Cork will be very hard to beat. However you can't disregard the character that they showed when Tipp came back at them, they could have collapsed, Same in the Limerick and Waterford games, I think they'll need to show that resolve again but absolutely replicating the hurling shown in those halves would go a long way to getting us to the final.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm

You can only go to the well so often before it runs dry. It's high time they did a proper job. Get on top early and stay there.
langerinexile

Postby langerinexile » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm

Dorcha wrote:You can only go to the well so often before it runs dry. It's high time they did a proper job. Get on top early and stay there.

That's true too, but I did think we looked fitter than Clare in the Munster final.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”