Cork Junior Footballers 2018

Lurker

Cork Junior Footballers 2018

Postby Lurker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 am

The Cork Junior Football team to play Kerry in the Munster Championship Final on Wednesday 27th June in Austin Stack Park, Tralee @ 7.30pm has been announced as follows.

1. Chris Kelly - Eire Og

2. Padraig Clancy - Fermoy

3. Peter Murphy - Bandon (Captain)

4. Darren O Regan - St. Vincent's

5. Kevin Cremin - Boherbue

6. Bart Daly - Newmarket

7. John Cronin - Lisgoold

8. Killian O Hanlon - Kilshannig

9. Brian Terry O Sullivan - Garnish

10. Seamus Hickey - Rockchapel

11. Cathal Vaughan - Iveleary

12. Eoghan McSweeney - Knocknagree

13. Jerry O Connor - Boherbue

14. Daniel Dineen - Cill na Martra

15. Anthony O Connor - Knocknagree

Subs

16. Joe Creedon - Iveleary

17. Conor Dennehy - St. Finbarrs

18. Gavin McCarthy - St. Vincent's

19. Garry O Connor - Knocknagree

20. Michael Vaughan - Millstreet

21. Ryan Harkin - Mallow

22. Donal Cremin - St. Michaels

23. Shane O Donovan - Mayfield

24. Barry Murphy - Iveleary

25. David Pyne - Glanworth

26. Adrian Murphy - St Finbarr's

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/10041137/The ... _announced
tipp-ex

Re: Cork Junior Footballers 2018

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Cork lost 2-14 to 1-15, led by 5 points early on in the 2nd half but Kerry finished very strong, I followed it on Twitter and you could almost see it happening, disappointing
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Followed it on Twitter, myself, Tipp-Ex. As you say, extremely disappointing. I felt if they could stop Kerry scoring a second goal, they might manage it. But, alas. A clean sweep for Kerry now, I suppose. I can't see our U-20s winning on Friday.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Did anyone venture to Tralee ? Report etc ? no score by senior panel player Cathal Vaughan ? how did O Hanlon play and how did O Duinnin and McSweeney play anyone ?? thanks .
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Stand by for blasting. The Morris Minor made it over the hills once again but there was smoke belching out of her at the county bounds.
She almost refused to go any further as if she knew what was facing her master.
I'm on the lookout for a tablet that will stop me following Cork football teams and making a complete eegit out of meself.
Might take an injection of cop on me thinks.
From the throw in we showed how novicy we are. One of the Murphy's caught it clean as O Hanlon stood back and the other Murphy fcuked the big tall Garnish lad O Sullivan out of his way. Murphy ran a bit unmolested, handpassed it to a flying team mate who handpassed it to No 13 Hickey................bang...........back of the net and no fault of Chris Kelly in Goal. This all happened in the first minute so it looked ominous for the small scattering of red supporters. It got worse. They won the kick out and No 10 Evan Cronin slapped over a nice point. He was Kerry's best forward and scored 4 points over the 65 minutes.
Things got better soon and Seamus Hickey kicked over a long distance point and within 10 minutes we were level with nice scores from Jerry O Connor and Anthony O Connor.
We led at half time 0-11 to 1-7 with Killian O Hanlon getting a grip of things at mid field and running at the Kerry defence and drawing frees which Jerry O Connor (Boherbue) sweetly converted. He's not a flying fit forward but by Gawd he can kick frees.
We were 5 points up soon after half time and looked like winning. However, the two Murphys took over completely at mid field as the Garnish man got tired and was jumping from a standing start. Breaking it down to Kerrymen just like the seniors on Saturday. Will we ever learn?
The Kerry goal that brought them level was a square ball AFAIK but the two highly intelligent umpires from WAAAAterford after serious consultation with the equally intelligent ref Alan Kissane, allowed the goal and the baying mob from Inchaboogle were in full voice now.
They went a point up and we came level, I think twice, but the inevitable happened in the final 6 or 8 minutes.
First of all we were awarded a 45 or a free from that area and Cathal Vaughan went to take it. He had already kicked two similar frees well wide along with two more from play. You asked how did he play............simple answer.....he was scoreless.
We were three points down with plenty time and Jerry O Connor for whatever reason didn't or wasn't allowed to take that scoreable free?
Vaughan blazed it wide.
The finish of the game was laughable as with 6 minutes extra time Dineen had a ground shot at goal pushed out for a 45 by keeper Dara O Shea. We got at least another two 45s in that period and unbelievably the free taker tapped the ball 5 yards sideways and backwards to a team mate. The animals behind me were breaking their holes laughing. We needed a goal and might have got it if the ball was kicked into the square. It was truly incredible. Killian O Hanlon did kick a late point when I think he was actually trying to lob one in to the square.
In the 2nd half subs Michael Vaughan, Donal Cremin, Conor Dennehy and Ryan Harkin were introduced and Vaughan did kick a point as well as a hail mary wide. He replaced a tired Anthony O Connor.
Once again Kerry won the yellow cards battle hands down. Andrew Barry nearly took the head off John Cronin with a neck lace but only saw Yellow. Ronan Murphy MF and Clifford ( brudder of the shaper I tink) got the others. Bart Daly was lucky also to escape with a Yellow when he hauled down a Kerry forward in the square. Kelly saved the penalty from Hickey and the follow up as well.
He's a decent keeper with a good kick out.
The full back line did reasonably well under lots of pressure from nice balls into their men.
Kevin Cremin was on the ball a lot and made lots of intelligent forward runs. Good unselfish player.
Daly at No 6 held Clifford scoreless and scored a nice point himself............good player
MF.......Killian O Hanlon should have played last Saturday...........need I say any more?
Half Forwards............Seamus Hickey is a step above this level too. Scored two points and was all over the place when needed.
Cathal Vaughan is no where near senior standard but it might just have been an off night.
Eoghan McSweeney.......Kicked a nice point in first half and managed a poor wide in the 2nd. There's more in him.
Jerry O Connor kicked 5 points (4 F) but that's his forte and was beaten to most 50/50 balls.
Dan Dineen No 14 went out to No 11 in second half but the occasion seemed to unnerve him and he ran down blind alleys all night.
I was disappointed in him as I have been reading rave reviews and lads were telling me he should be on the senior panel.
Anthony O Connor, kicked 2 points ( 1F) in first half but I doubt if has the pace for senior football.
Now that is my tuppence worth and I have to say once more that for whatever reason referees rarely give us a break. There was an incident late in the game when one of our men was first to a ground ball and was about to pick it when one of the Kerry lads welted into him at speed and went down injured. Our man from Waaaterford threw up the ball when the Kerryman got up. It was close to being a red card offence and that free would have given us an attack that we badly needed. Time was running out and of course the 'stupid foolish' Kerryman stayed down as long as possible with an army of medicals around him.
We have to be the most innocent naive race of people in the world. We continue to expect success in ball games by playing the game like gentlemen.
Sweet Jesus I doubt if the Morris Minor can take any more of this so might have to give Friday night a swerve. :lol:
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Whats makes this defeat worse is this is Kerrys 2nd or 3rd Junior string as none of there players from the last 2 years winning All-Ireland sides played Jesus Wept.
Thanks Ranty .
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 pm

CORKFAN wrote:Whats makes this defeat worse is this is Kerrys 2nd or 3rd Junior string as none of there players from the last 2 years winning All-Ireland sides played Jesus Wept.
Thanks Ranty .

You are welcome CORKFAN.
I forgot to say how our goal was scored. No 7 John Cronin from Lisgoold, ran on to to slick hand pass from Dineen on the 40 yard line.
Fair play to him, showed a lot of composure and kept running before blasting it home from 20 yards. This happened around 20 mins in and we were looking good at that stage. Not sure about his defensive capabilities but he took his goal with great skill and ball control.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am

Great report Ranty, agree with pretty much all of that, including your analysis of our player's performances.

Not unlike last Saturday, we looked very open pretty much all through. Any time Kerry ran at us it seemed there were goals there for them. We had a decent foothold in the first half though so we kept the ball up their end for long spells. There was some nice interplay between most of our forwards but I felt one or two (definitely two) preferred to do everything by themselves. This resulted in a good few attacks breaking down through overcarrying and being dispossessed or Hail Mary efforts for points that were never really on.

Seamus Hickey was our most prominent attacker in the early stages, rangy, athletic, committed and able to take a score. He was a big influence in bringing us back into contention with some powerful running, after such a rocky start. Anybody know what age he is? He faded out in the middle part of the first half but came strong again near the end.

Nothing went right for Cathal Vaughan on the night, some of which was his own doing it has to be said in terms of decision making, but you'd have to assume he's better than he showed. As Ranty said, it really was hard to believe when he came out to take a crucial 45 having missed all of his previous kicks before Jerry O'Connor took over and nailed one from around 55 yards with plenty to spare. O'Connor himself took a very heavy solo, losing possession, at another critical point in the second half when bearing down on goal.

The Knocknagree pair of O'Connor and McSweeney had a productive first half, the former setting up the latter for our opening score. O'Connor scored a lovely point a few minutes later with a nice swivel before angling over from his weaker side. He also won a free which he converted himself. If some Cork players were too keen to do it themselves, McSweeney was probably the opposite. He made some powerful runs but too often gave it to (less pacey) teammates in no better position than what he was in himself. On occasions they would have been better off opening up the space for him to run into instead of demanding the ball.

A bit like Vaughan, Dineen seemed to have a night where little went right for him. To be fair, it wasn't for the want of trying. He worked exceptional hard all through.

O'Hanlon looked a class above this level in midfield, well able to break the tackle and picks the right option more often than not. Composed and a nice kick passes. I did think that he meant the point he scored late on though, which was a curious decision at a point a goal was needed. That said, it reduced the gap to two and we had more time than I probably realised at that moment, given the referee played close on double the four minutes indicated due to the aforementioned injury to the Kerry player. Our two midfielders seemed to be giving an inch or two to their Kerry counterparts so it was difficult at times, with our usual failings around the breaking ball as evident as ever, especially in the second half.

The second half was very disappointing, especially after such a perfect start with Cronin's goal and a Jerry O'Connor free adding to our impressive first half tally of 0-11, to put us five up. In the context of a match that was nip and tuck up until that point, it was a sizeable lead. We can't have any major complaints though, Kerry left two or three goals after them and some frankly unbelievable wides. Kelly's save from the penalty was excellent, a nice height as they say but it was well struck and he sprung across his goal very smartly. He made a similar save from a one on one in the first half. He's a big unit, no fear of him with the couple of high balls that needed dealing with too. His kickouts were a bit mixed, he took risks at times, probably felt he needed to with Kerry's second half dominance at midfield. He kicked one over the sideline near the end and another where the Cork recipient was outnumbered two to one and consequently dispossessed.

I thought the referee was fair and consistent, there are far worse doing much bigger matches. Like any refereeing performance, you could pick holes if you wanted to but he escaped the wrath of both sets of supporters for the most part.

The black card rule is utterly nonsensical, a real bugbear at this stage. We were led to believe it was brought in to prevent cynical play, fouls where a player is running through on goal or dragging opponents to the ground in the latter stages of matches anywhere on the pitch to waste time and break momentum. The rule-makers have made a complete mess of it. This criteria where you have to 'drag an opponent to the ground' or trip them up being the only offences for which a black card will be issued is crazy, along with an off the ball tackle.

For Kerry's penalty last night, the Cork defender pulled back the Kerry player, Clifford I think, as he was bearing down on goal. It was the absolute definition of why the black card was introduced, but because he only pulled him back instead of dragging him to the ground or tripping him, it was deemed a yellow. Not the referee's fault, he's only implementing the dumb rules that are in place. At the weekend we saw Stephen O'Brien (not to mention Ruairí Deane where no offence took place) black carded for a relatively minor offence, dragging Loughrey to the ground as he was running out of defence during the first half. I just don't think that it was introduced for that kind of indiscretion, fair enough if it was clearly cynical play with the clock running out near the end and Cork needing a goal. I said I'd pick two examples that worked in our favour for impartiality reasons!

Anyway, yet another disappointment, I'm struggling to remember the last time we beat Kerry at intercounty level... was it JOC's first year in charge of their U21's in 2016? We've even managed to lose to them in hurling in that time and I'm living in fear of a return to Austin Stacks Park tomorrow night. A man should never have to return to the scene of the crime that quickly.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks for the reports , Ranty and Lurker. It is what makes this site so valuable.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks a millon Ranty and Lurker fantastic reports you just would not get those reports from the pros I always think that Cathal Vaughan, Daniel Duinnin and Killian O Hanlon have what it takes to be seniors...

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”