Alcohol in the stands

gpalagi13

Alcohol in the stands

Postby gpalagi13 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello all,

This is an honest to goodness question out of curiosity that I've been unable to get a solid answer out of:

My wife and I attended the SHC Quarter Finals last July at Páirc Uí Chaoimh while vacationing in Ireland. It was fun to compare and contrast the differences of how Americans and the Irish prepare for the matches in the morning as well as the atmosphere while the match was in play. Needless to say it was a wonderful experience but one thing stuck with us that was a surprise. No alcohol (unless hidden by flask I'm sure) was allowed down into the seats. We each purchased a beer at the concession stand and when we went towards our seat a steward stopped us from going down the stairs and said no alcohol was allowed, and that we'd have to drink them before moving on.

Tea and coffee were allowed so we wondered has this rule always been in place and is there any reason that it is in place? Are there fans out there that like this rule or hate it? From living in America drinking alcohol is encouraged in the stands of any sporting event seeing we have beer vendors walking up and down the aisles passing them out and there are no restrictions on bringing alcohol to our seats from the concession stand.

Most responses I've gotten from friends in Ireland have been more on the witty side of course and I'm wondering if there is more to it.

-GP
langerinexile

Re: Alcohol in the stands

Postby langerinexile » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

The three main sporting bodies in Ireland, The GAA, FAI (soccer) and IRFU (rugby) have different rules. The IRFU permit drinking in the stands, the other two do not but allow it within the ground.

Personally it doesn't bother me but I would not like a drink during a GAA game, it's too fast moving and I personally wouldn't have time to be drinking alcohol, I'd consider it hassle.

Rugby is generally a slower paced game so on occasions I have indulged in a beverage while at a game but I have also been annoyed by the in and outs of people who have poor bladder control or the need to constantly have a beer in their hand.

There are pros and cons, generally at rugby games I limit and/or avoid purely on the basis that the beer is of poor quality and overpriced. If my children are with me then it is an absolute no for me and I would not even consider a drink but that is just my opinion.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm

I have seen televised rugby matches which show people with glasses of beer in their hands and I have often wondered how they don't spill it on other people. I certainly wouldn't like to see it in GAA grounds.

Alcohol and smoking is not permitted in Pairc Ui Chaoimh, but I have seen some people smoking e-cigarettes at matches there. Last night at the end of the Under-21 game, I saw a man smoking one. He had two small children with him.

No stewards around to police this, but a whole battalion of them to stop children going on the pitch afterwards to get close to the stars.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Given the heart is usually feels like exploding during Cork Gaa games I don't think I could enjoy a pint in the stands! Games are just too exciting to hold a beer without spilling it all over some fella on front of ya. If I had a beer in my hand when Hoggie scored that wonder point to put Cork ahead in '13 it would of been a waste of 6 quid as it would of ended up somewhere in Lower Hogan on some poor unfortunate punter!

I was at the American Football College game in Croke Park a few years ago, and to my surprise we were allowed to bring our pints into the stand, I asked a Garda on duty why we are allowed to drink in the stands today and not at GAA games and he replied "Sher you need a drink watching this shite!“. :D
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:03 pm

Matty Hislop wrote:Given the heart is usually feels like exploding during Cork Gaa games I don't think I could enjoy a pint in the stands! Games are just too exciting to hold a beer without spilling it all over some fella on front of ya. If I had a beer in my hand when Hoggie scored that wonder point to put Cork ahead in '13 it would of been a waste of 6 quid as it would of ended up somewhere in Lower Hogan on some poor unfortunate punter!

I was at the American Football College game in Croke Park a few years ago, and to my surprise we were allowed to bring our pints into the stand, I asked a Garda on duty why we are allowed to drink in the stands today and not at GAA games and he replied "Sher you need a drink watching this shite!“. :D

Brilliant :lol:

I like a few pints as much as the next man or woman, but it would never even enter my head to drink during a hurling or football game..for all the same reasons as outlined by others above. Just way too much hassle when there's normally too much going on in front of us.

Now, before and after games...now thats another matter! And all adds to the enjoyable experience.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”