Colm O Neill retires

CORKFAN

Colm O Neill retires

Postby CORKFAN » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:22 pm

After the great Donncha O Connor retireing comes the news that the great Colm O Neill now has to retire what a wonderfull player he was for me the best forward Cork football ever had since JBM and I cant remember too much of JBM ….Thanks Colm what a servant to the red jersey and this despite 3 serious knee injurys ….won loads of medals so that will soften the blow of having to go so early ….enjoy the rest Colm you did us proud.
greatbleddyman

Re: Colm O Neill retires

Postby greatbleddyman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:33 pm

What a player, what a man. Was better on one leg for last few years than his team mates with two.

Remember one of his first appearances was a late sub below in Killarney in 09. Came on and stroked over a vital 45 in a cauldron with what was possibly his first touch.

Sad to think he's the best part of a decade younger than Donncha
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:54 pm

What a player, what a man. Was better on one leg for last few years than his team mates with two.

Remember one of his first appearances was a late sub below in Killarney in 09. Came on and stroked over a vital 45 in a cauldron with what was possibly his first touch.

Sad to think he's the best part of a decade younger than Donncha
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Hear hear, a man who knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, I say this in the present tense as I'm sure he'll continue to do it for Ballyclough. A fine hurler too I believe.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Disappointed to hear this but it was inevitable and this is the right time.

Probably our most talented player of the last 25 years, certainly our most natural finisher. At his prime he was our one forward I really believed Kerry were genuinely afraid of. Great balance, great movement, great awareness, great touch,great feet.

I remember well the cameo v Kerry that GBM refers to...nailed that kick with such comfort and confidence.

As others say, the injuries took their toll on Colm and prevented him becoming one of the true greats. But his determination and attitude in coming back from each setback is a measure of the man. As is the way he always carried himself with such humility and dignity.

In one of the lowest points in the history of Cork football what we would give for a 22 year old injury free Colm O'Neill. He owes Cork nothing, he gave it everything he had despite the setbacks, and when fit he was one of those players we could always rely on.

Thanks Colm for some great memories and wish you all the best in retirement, it is our loss.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

tipp-ex wrote:Hear hear, a man who knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net, I say this in the present tense as I'm sure he'll continue to do it for Ballyclough. A fine hurler too I believe.

Yes Tipp, an equally talented hurler.
oileanach

Postby oileanach » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 pm

A mighty man. A great finisher, classy left leg and proven mental fortitude on the field (and even more so off it).

His three ACL ruptures curtailed his career unfortunately but i was glad to see him line out in the number 13/14 any and every day he did.

How bright things looked in 2010 with incredible young talent in o'neill, Sheehan and walsh mixing with a solid group who had just lifted the all Ireland. I wouldn't have predicted the decline we have seen since then based purely on the raw talent of those three boys alone
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 pm

I was at that game when he nailed the 45. The terrace erupted. The goal he got in the opening minutes of the All Ireland final V Kerry will always stick out for me. A great player cursed by injuries. All the best in retirement Colm a truly gifted footballer.
bronxrebe;

Postby bronxrebe; » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:35 pm

How much I would give to have seen a healthy Colm playing alongside Ciaran Sheehan for the last several years. What an amazing opportunity lost. To me it’s hard to say which was better or had more potential. They both could’ve been perrenial all stars.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 pm

bronxrebe; wrote:How much I would give to have seen a healthy Colm playing alongside Ciaran Sheehan for the last several years. What an amazing opportunity lost. To me it’s hard to say which was better or had more potential. They both could’ve been perrenial all stars.

Different type of players bronx, but equally gifted in different ways. Colm the more natural and a clinical finisher, Sheehan probably more dynamic and pacey.

Jesus when you think back..only 8 years..and we had Colm, Ciaran, Kerrigan, Paddy Kelly, Walsh, Goulding all at a high level and still yet to hit their prime. Where did it all go wrong...

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”