Cork Hurlers 2019

Lurker

Re: Cork Hurlers 2019

Postby Lurker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:45 pm

http://www.gaacork.ie/news/10053884/Sta ... ng_Manager

The Cork GAA Executive has today confirmed that, following the completion of his two-year term, outgoing manager John Meyler is not seeking a further term as Cork Senior Hurling manager.

All in Cork GAA wish to thank John sincerely for his decades of service to GAA at all levels in the County.

In more recent times, this has included a two-year term with the Cork U15/U16 hurlers in 2015 & 2016 with the group that went on to win an All Ireland U17 title in 2017. John had by then been appointed Cork U21 manager, while also serving as a selector in Kieran Kingston's management team which secured Munster honours in the same year. This was followed by a two-year term as Cork Senior manager which included the retention of the Munster title in 2018.

County Chairperson Tracey Kennedy said "John has been an outstanding servant to Cork GAA in a variety of roles over many years, and I would like to thank him both personally and on behalf of Cork for all that he has done and, I am sure, will continue to do. We wish John, his selectors and backroom team all the best in their future endeavours and thank all involved for an immeasurable voluntary contribution over their two-year term."

A process will now be put in place for the appointment of a new manager.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:44 pm

Let the games begin.

**best of luck to Joyce in his recovery. A bad blow for him and his club. I've often tore my hair out watching him but he was very committed to Cork hurling. Be tough for him to come back and push for a place given he was after losing out to Downey this year.
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 pm

Dreadful news about Christopher Joyce, another long lonely road to recovery for him. He has been criticized by many (including myself) at times but few people doubted his commitment to the Cork jersey. If more skillful players had his desire maybe we wouldn't be where we are now. With younger guys coming on the scene maybe we won't see Joycey again in a Cork jersey. If so I'd like to thank him for giving me happy days following the Rebels. Good on you kid
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Best of luck to Chris Joyce on his recovery.

Also, thanks to John Meyler for his efforts. He has been around a long time with various teams. His 2 years in charge were "decent" I suppose, 2018 being better than this year where things went wrong im afraid. At least he tried out a few things which may or may not work for another manager.
It was definitely time for a change, a new voice, a new direction.
Id like to see a fast (proper) appointment before the county championship starts up this weekend
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:36 pm

Quick look at Paddy Power and they have Kingston as favourite to replace Myler, followed by Ring ( :roll:) and Pat Mul.
donal66

Postby donal66 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm

2002 Cork minor selectors JMeyler, DRing, JConsidine,
well beyond time for new blood / ideas on the line,
no more time to lose KO'D
youngbob

Postby youngbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 pm

I know from a few of the players, before Meyler got the job they asked a number of guys if they would be interested When the players approached the CCB about it the board dismissed them. When Meyler was appointed he asked 2 of them would they work under him and they declined. That was the main reason why Meyler was slow to name his backroom team, his 1st choices refused on tactical and playing styles. Hopefully these fellas will be approached again because they are well respected by the people who matter most, the players.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:52 pm

donal66 wrote:2002 Cork minor selectors JMeyler, DRing, JConsidine,
well beyond time for new blood / ideas on the line,
no more time to lose KO'D

The first line of that post just about sums up all that is bad about the management of inter county hurling teams in Cork at the moment. New broom badly needed from U17 up. I wish John Meyler well, whatever about what I thought of him, he seems a gentleman and I've no doubt tried his hardest for his adopted county.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:10 pm

According to Red FM Cusack has put his name forward for the job? Do we know of any others?
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:49 am

Matty Hislop wrote:According to Red FM Cusack has put his name forward for the job? Do we know of any others?

Cusack is probably the last thing Cork senior hurling needs right now.

I don't doubt his credentials (although coaching-wise he has done very little of note), his thoughts and theories on the game and his burning desire to manage Cork.

But it is all these thing that make him a most unsuitable candidate. Cusack is way too media-friendly, way too consumed by trying to turn hurling into a game it doesn't need to be, way too divisive both within and outside the county, way too fond of his own voice, way too fond of his own views, way too polarising at all levels throughout the hurling world.

We don't need a Roy Keane type personality with NASA -like theories.....we need a Kiely type, a Donoghue type, a Sheedy type, hell a Cody type....men who eschew mass media frenzy and revolutionary hurling hypothesis in favour of simple,hard, hurling based on old-fashioned qualities like toughness, determination, winning your own ball, catching your own ball, owning your own ball, taking responsibility for your man, working your arse off, doing the ugly stuff when necessary.....all the things that allow skill, craft, and stickwork to flourish.

I've nothing against Donal Og personally - he was a great player and leader for Cork and I won't throw him under the bus for his perceived agendas. But I think with him in charge every Cork game & performance will be micro-scrutinised, every media interview with Cusack will be micro-scrutinised, every tactical or positional change will be micro-scrutinised....basically giving the wider media to shoot down him down at every possible opportunity.

That's not what Cork needs right now...despite this years disappointment we are not that far behind any of the other teams if we can get the heads down, get the bodies and focus right, get the right leadership in place and concentrate on what we do best...playing our own brand of hurling based on speed, touch, and teamwork but with a lot more intensity, toughness, and leadeship.

That's why I think Cusack is probably the last thing Cork senior hurling needs right now. Ok, I correct that..Denis Ring is probably the last thing that Cork senior hurling needs right now!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”