Cork Footballers 2019

Twohands

Re: Cork Footballers 2019

Postby Twohands » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm

They certainly don’t lack ambition anyway, which is always a good start!

I haven’t had a chance to read it in detail but what I’ve read about it strikes me as something that is ambitious and well intentioned, addressing many of the acknowledged failings and some of the elephants in the room. Whether it is over ambitious or not only time will tell, but we’ve been happy enough to turn up in Killarney in the hope of a Kerry off day for long enough. Time to start driving our own destiny. Fair play to those involved in putting it together. I suspect there was a lot of time spent on it.

One big positive is that it has been published well in advance of the meeting on the 29th. Clubs have a chance to consider it and hopefully there will be an informed and lively debate at that meeting. That in itself would make 2019 quite different from a lot of what went before!

Ranty, you might get the strength and conditioning role if you offer to allow them to push the Morris Minor around a field. There’s a lad in Mayo who could give you the handbook for that! ;) Happy new year to you all.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 pm

The big question is will the clubs go with these proposals ? if they go with this we have a chance to get better.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Ranty wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:I haven't seen the document but its a start, the first acknowledgement is the fact you have a problem, I like the people involved and we all know who is involved, more power to them I say, ok Ranty you've read it and I stand corrected (time constraints) but im going against you on this one. Its a 5 year plan not a 5 minute plan

No problem 'tipp-ex', I've been wrong once or twice ........ :lol:
It won't take you long to read it as more than half of it is pictures and tables of previous years losses and who 'bate' us etc.
We really don't need another feed of that, now do we?
Any chance you could tell me what a 'project co-ordinator' is and how such an animal could do anything for Cork football?
While you're at it, you might enlighten me on the function of a ' High Performance Director', or even a ' Talent Development Manager'
Perhaps I'm old fashioned but that clip on the News at 6 tonight was embarrassing.

No hassle. I'm not into titles and bullshit, it's black or white with me, I'll get back to you
leesider

Postby leesider » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 am

The dubs have proved that there is one vital ingredient that is guaranteed to win All-Ireland's:money. And we don't have it. In fact we are strapped for cash and will be for the foreseeable future because of the Stade de Frank fiasco. Plans are aren't much use without the finance to implement them.
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 am

What I like about the report is it assigns timelines and responsibility not just me nebulous ideals.

It took moving to imokilly to illustrate to me the real problems football face in this country. Not simply apathy but antipathy towards football
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm

leesider wrote:The dubs have proved that there is one vital ingredient that is guaranteed to win All-Ireland's:money. And we don't have it. In fact we are strapped for cash and will be for the foreseeable future because of the Stade de Frank fiasco. Plans are aren't much use without the finance to implement them.

Isn't the stadium now supposed to be run as a separate business which will generate it's own funding and pay its own way? The days of it taking money out of Cork GAA are gone and it will now be giving it back. That's the way I read it anyway. A lot of effort and time has been spent on compiling this document and I really think that a genuine effort is being made this time to sort out the problems of Cork football. I have settled down to read the document in instalments, so that I can give myself time to consider the points made. (Although Ranty nearly put me off it altogether.) I can skip past the pictures easily enough.
Last edited by Dorcha on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leesider

Postby leesider » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Dorcha wrote:Isn't the stadium now supposed to be run as a separate business which will generate it's own funding and pay its own way?

It was also supposed to cost 70 million, not 110 million. I wouldn't believe a word the Cork county board say.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 pm

I have read the plan in more detail now and am impressed by the approach and the level of the ambition. I am also worried that some of the key dependencies to make it all possible may be tricky.

Money will be the big and obvious issue. The plans are wide ranging but regional hubs for training, new senior appointments, properly co-ordinated coaching programmers at all levels, more matches for younger players, Cork GAA tv and a defined base for Cork football will all require investment of various levels before you even get into the question of county team budgets. The new finance committee proposed will have a huge role in trying to find ways to both come up with the necessary funding and manage tightly defined budgets. There will be a lot riding on the success of Cairde Chorcaí, but at least the existence of a clear plan and strategy and the promise of greater transparency will make people more inclined to contribute.

The project co-ordinator is effectively a director of football with real teeth, including in relation to having a significant role in selecting managers of county teams. (I was curious as to who selects the selectors for the senior team as the document is silent about that, noting that the managers of the U17 and U20 teams will select their selectors.) If the right person is appointed and allowed to get on with it, it could be transformative.

There will be quite a bit of extra extra-curricular activity for the players if the promotional aspects are to be implemented. Open sessions in different clubs every six weeks, post match responsibilities with fans etc are all significant asks from players. There is no doubt that they will be good in developing more rapport with fans but I wouldn’t fancy being the players rolled out to face the likes of us after a hiding down in Killarney or wherever!

Hopefully the proposals regarding changes to the league and championship structures will be approved. I suspect that could end up like the Brexit nonsense in the House of Commons where everyone has their own proposal and the only common ground is that there is not enough common ground. Clubs may have to accept that there is no perfect system and most new systems would be better than the one they’ve got.

Biggest issue with getting approval with the plan is the amount of Nemo heads staring out from you on the cover. No wonder good footballing men from the hills like Ranty are dubious! :lol:
greatbleddyman

Postby greatbleddyman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Lost! So much for the football plan early in the week. Scrap and start again
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm

greatbleddyman wrote:Lost! So much for the football plan early in the week. Scrap and start again

To be fair todays team was almost a second string with up to 10 lads who are 18,19, 20 years old.. I would not panic about today .

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”