Cork Footballers 2019

Sinbin

Re: Cork Footballers 2019

Postby Sinbin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Fascinating report there Ranty...your ruminations about Cork football are always welcome and well worth reading, if not altogether encouraging...but hey, we won't shoot the messenger.

I was interested in hearing viewpoints on the proposed rule changes as I haven't seen a football match myself since they were introduced, but I haven't heard or learned anything conclusive from those who have...all seems a bit a la carte in that some people like some bits of some rules but the menu itself is disappointing.

What I have learned though, and what will stand to me forever, is how Miltown Malbay got its name and I look forward to smugly answering that question in a pub quiz some day!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up lads.
Lurker, I was wiping the mist off my glasses when McSweeney scored so I stand corrected. Please accept my apologies Eoghan.
The fella with me thought he was a bit overweight but a decent prospect.
Glad to further your education Sinbin. I used to visit that little town many years ago on business, but never thought of asking
anybody how the second barrel came about.
Clare is a nice county and I must visit Córa Caithlín some day soon for a chat with D.F. :lol:
leesider

Postby leesider » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Colm O' Rourke on about us again in the Indo today. Says the four year plan is bull and doesn't think it will have any effect. Slaughters us about PUC again.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 pm

leesider wrote:Colm O' Rourke on about us again in the Indo today. Says the four year plan is bull and doesn't think it will have any effect. Slaughters us about PUC again.

Thomás tells us in the S'Indo that Colm and Gerry McIntee came down during the week for pints with Dr.Con as they cannot make the big bash on Saturday night. I might be one of the few rebels that kinda like what Colm writes each week but to each his own. Whatever about the outcome of this master plan there's no doubt that the language used is utter posh gobbledekook (Corporate Bullshit) and not the language of your average GAA fan. He's spot on about the failures of Cork given their resources. His most telling comment says it all when he says " Cork's failure is principally one of leadership and power" or words to that effect. We all know who was leading Cork for yonks and who had the power.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 am

O'Rourke comes across genuinely angry. This Dublin dominance must be really getting to him if his hoping for us (of all people) to save the day. I wouldn't expect an official document, for public consumption, to be written in the lingo of a GAA man from West Cork. The wording is irrelevant, it's all about the substance, fair enough if he thinks that's lacking too. He says it's not a revolutionary document - nobody said it was Colm, in fact, its creators specifically said it's mostly common sense.

For anybody who hasn't read it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 28980.html
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Lurker wrote:O'Rourke comes across genuinely angry. This Dublin dominance must be really getting to him if his hoping for us (of all people) to save the day. I wouldn't expect an official document, for public consumption, to be written in the lingo of a GAA man from West Cork. The wording is irrelevant, it's all about the substance, fair enough if he thinks that's lacking too. He says it's not a revolutionary document - nobody said it was Colm, in fact, its creators specifically said it's mostly common sense.

For anybody who hasn't read it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 28980.html

Now I'm more confused than ever Lurker. How can the wording be irrelevant?
If the creators think it's common sense then Colm and yours truly are too thick to understand common sense.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:07 pm

The action is what's important, not the way it's written, is what I mean.

Tracey, Canty & co, rightly or wrongly, say the plan is rooted in common sense. They don't claim their proposals are revolutionary, so that was a bit of a strawman comment from COR.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:20 pm

I can't wait for 'action' by these Straw-men.
We could have copied successful counties without all this high octane publicity and words that poor old West Cork people
don't understand.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Things aren't right nowadays unless they are dressed up in fancy words. When I read the plan and saw bits about pillars etc I lost interest to be honest. I have a deep mistrust of that kind of language but that's the modern way. Maybe there could have been a translation of the Cork plan issued for plain people like myself so that we could understand it better. But, as Lurker said the plan is probably good when you strip away the fancy terminology. It's good something is happening anyway and fair play to the three men involved.
Great to see so many Cork legends together at the Dr. Con tribute and a few euros raised in the process. There seemed to be a bit of Corkness to the occasion. A good start to the year.
Good test of where we are, coming up on Sunday. Fermanagh were Ulster finalists last year and seem to play half the county behind the ball so will be a good achievement to come away with a win. The big full forward, Quigley and the nippy forward, Corrigan seem to have left the panel so that should be an advantage. A winning start Sunday is vital in my opinion. I hope Cork play like their lives depend on it.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Just realised its the big full forward's brother, who seemed to be an even bigger corner forward who is gone. Last year's top scorer. I wouldn't imagine Fermanagh would be able to replace scoring forwards that easily. If we play with two half backs in our half forward line it could be a low scoring affair.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”