tipp-ex

Re: Cork Footballers 2019

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 pm

"Cork will be relegated if Clare beat Meath on Sunday"

Cork should never be in this position. A bad day among many this year
Tanora

Postby Tanora » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:19 pm

oileanach wrote:Are we relegated now mathematically given our head to head v Clare?

If they win tomorrow that's pretty much that for us. The only we can stay is Clare to lose tomorrow and next week against Tipp while we beat Armagh. That will leave Clare on 3 points with Cork and Tipp on 5, Cork staying up via the head to head.........I think
oileanach

Postby oileanach » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Is it fair to say, despite the result, that that was corks best performance of 2019? They were playing against a team of undoubted quality.
We lost it in game management in my opinion. Up to 60-65 mins we were in with a shout. A range of screw ups came in that last 15 mins. Powter sub for Crowley as McGuire lay on the ground was daft. McGuire goes off injured and no replacement. This was prior to Connolly going off injured and Mark Collins getting his second yellow.
Also, was it Clancy that gave away the ball under little pressure late in the game around midfield? My poor memory suggests that lead to the goal but not sure. Either way if it only lead to a point it was still a howler!

Final score didn't really reflect the game in my opinion. Cork were closer than the score would suggest.

First half was an enjoyable half of football to watch I though. Granted cork had a fair amount of handling errors. One in particular got to me. Cork worked around possession before finally playing a ball into top of the left to Michael Hurley, chest height, under minimal enough pressure, scoring range and he fumbled it and out the field donegal went. Terribly frustrating.

Second half cork didn't have a huge amount of chances. Worked possession really well at one stage against a packed donegal defence that finally lead to a free and an easy chance for Connolly.

All in all relegation beckons although not yet 100% definite. Let's leave it at 95% sure. Christ playing leitrim and the likes next year please God under new management. Another manager might be able to get the first 35 min performance (or better) on a more regular basis.

Some fine performances in the first half notable rory deane, great run through donegal defence that lead to the goal. I think donegal made changes at half time and quietened him second half.

Corks kick outs in first half were relatively good. Second half into a strong wind way too many were 50/50 jobs out the field which cork didn't win that many.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Great analysis Oileaneach and in sync with John Cashman and John Fintan Daly on the radio.
J.F.D. seemed to think that Donegal under estimated Cork early on but when they put the pedal down we had no answer.
They quickly replaced players that weren't performing while our brains trust introduced our 1st sub with 10 minutes left.
What in the name of Christ was Powter in the subs bench for?
Same question about Sean White.....we couldn't win a kick out and he was left twiddling his thumbs on the bench.
They may not have changed things but why were they good enough to be subs?
Gore is young, but he wouldn't spill that ball to Hurley you referred to.
Fellows saying over on PROC that he's too young but that still begs the question, WTF was he doing in the dugout so?

This brings me back to the famous 'five year plan' and all the flowery language and rock-breaker words they used to tell us
that action is being taken to make Cork 'GREAT AGAIN' and bring CORKNESS into our performances.
Load of 'caca tarbh' in my opinion. Like some Britt said about implementing Brexit, it's not like brain surgery.
Handing a senior football jersey to lads that have repeatedly shown that they are not up to it is the height of lunacy in football
terms. People say replacements aren't there, but in a county the size of Cork with so many clubs that cannot be right.
Playing football in Division 3 next year is a horrible indictment of our recently retired top table and if by any chance somebody
suggests naming a bridge or a street after one of those lads or lassies ..........................don't laugh........it could happen.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

A few weeks ago I thought we were certain to go down and while it is still likely I think we have more of an escape route now. It will obviously mean Tipp must beat or draw with Clare in Thurles which is possible. We then have to beat Armagh. The fact Armagh are safe and really have nothing to play for, whereas Cork have to play as if their lives depend on it may tilt things in our way. At least there is a chance.
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I am basing that on us finishing level with Tipp on 5 points and us having beaten them; I think it is based on head to head then as opposed to points difference if 2 teams level on points. A draw in Thurles and a win for us would definitely see us safe. Does anyone know for certain how it works. Rules sometimes change from year to year.
Tanora

Postby Tanora » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Cork will stay up if they win in Armagh and if Clare/Tipp draw or Tipp win. In the event of Cork and Tipp winning Cork will stay up due to the head to head.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Meath 1-12, Clare 1-7 full time
Maurice Banks

Postby Maurice Banks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Tanora wrote:Cork will stay up if they win in Armagh and if Clare/Tipp draw or Tipp win. In the event of Cork and Tipp winning Cork will stay up due to the head to head.

Thanks Tanora. Just saw you had posted that already. Something to play for anyway.
Tanora

Postby Tanora » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Maurice Banks wrote:
Tanora wrote:Cork will stay up if they win in Armagh and if Clare/Tipp draw or Tipp win. In the event of Cork and Tipp winning Cork will stay up due to the head to head.

Thanks Tanora. Just saw you had posted that already. Something to play for anyway.

With Armagh safe and apparently hit with injuries we have a chance. All we can do is get our own job done and hope for a favour elsewhere. I've a sneaky feeling we'll survive... then again I also thought we'd have a backlash in us and beat Tyrone last year in Portlaoise so don't mind me :lol:

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”