Cork Footballers 2019

Twohands

Re: Cork Footballers 2019

Postby Twohands » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:42 am

Best of luck to the team tonight. The question over Dublin is whether the second half against Meath disguised the issues the first half showed up or whether their management team just needed to get them to switch on at half time. If Meath had taken their chances in the first half it could have been interesting. Cork will need a good start and to keep that going in a way they haven’t in big games for a few years. Forget learning. That’s for after the game and what you learn will be based on how what and how you did. Just tear into it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Doing alright but i hate to say it this could be anything
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm

What I do not want to see is the usual 50th minute crumble v the Dubs like other counties. Keep trying and play ball
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Some huge positives to take from that despite the size of the beating. Three soft goals given away but huge fight all over the pitch and won a lot of 50/50 balls. Some players need another year or two at this level but the super 8s will be a huge help in their development. Bottom line though is that we need to be fitter to play championship football against the big boys. At one stage this evening one Cork player actually gave up the chase on McCaffrey and waved at a team mate to pick up the run. It was the first half and that player only came off a few minutes from the end.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm hugely positive after that. twohands correctly pointed out some obvious areas where we can improve. No better place than again the Dubs in Croker.
I'll go so far to say that Cork were outstanding, yes in a 13 point defeat.
We now have a team to work around
oileanach

Postby oileanach » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Agree with Twohands. Huge positives to be taken.
Cluxton is some boy. Another day and another keeper cork would have had at least 3 goals.
Cork never lied down even when they went behind
Their tackling was very good. One or two lazy ones but hardly worth mentioning
Dublin are incredible. They turn the screw for a few minutes, tack on a few big scores and ease off again. Their power play happened to coincide with White's only major boo boo today that lead to a goal. To be fair he saved at least 2 other one on ones.
You could name 11 or 12 cork lads who gave everything they had tonight plus more.
Is Deane carrying an injury? Not saying he was bad but I have a sneaking suspicion. He was sluggish at times v laois too. I know he's a man the opposition target but theres more to it than that.
Cork's will to win 50/50s is a joy to watch.
Thought, although I'll have to watch it back, that they did well on the breaks at midfield through sheer hunger.
Corks only issue next week is getting the bodies right for tyrone. Tyrone had a work out tonight but nothing like the effort our boys put in. Heres to a good recovery week. Tyrone reverting to defensive football will be a hard nut to crack. Facing last years 2 all ireland finalists in 2 weeks is a tough ask for the best of teams.

I might be mad with 2 games to go in supers 8s but looking towards next year. Cork are well fit now but they are still off the physical conditioning of the top 2 or 3 teams. Hopefully that can be worked on throughout the winter. Look at me looking at 2020 with hope as a Cork football supporter!
stfrancis

Postby stfrancis » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Twohands wrote:Some huge positives to take from that despite the size of the beating. Three soft goals given away but huge fight all over the pitch and won a lot of 50/50 balls. Some players need another year or two at this level but the super 8s will be a huge help in their development. Bottom line though is that we need to be fitter to play championship football against the big boys. At one stage this evening one Cork player actually gave up the chase on McCaffrey and waved at a team mate to pick up the run. It was the first half and that player only came off a few minutes from the end.

Your right but in fairness I think the same player played very well all told, even won a dublin kickout. Huge performance and huge fight which is what you hope for as a basic start block. Great intetn but the fitness difference was huge, we seemto have improved in that department but again we need another year to go it seems at least. Again the 2 wing backs were excellent, I thought flahive and both clancys did well also, thomas clancy adds massive physicality to the defence. Mark white is a good keeper but he certainly isnt a great shot stopper yet, a huge man should be a far more intimidating presence, the kickout fumble was a disaster......
Up front they all worked hard, midfield and the much maligned kevin odriscoll and paul kerrigan had great games in fairness.
However for next week we are under serious pressure unless ohnalon, walsh andpossibly mcsweeney are available to add something from the bench or even start. Outside michael hurley we have a very weak bench and will need ot for tyrone who are asstrong and fit as dublin and perhaps more cynical.
As a team they are certainly improving but it would be great to have something to play for in the last match
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Cork certainly learned a lot tonight. Earlier I was reading an interview with Loughrey about what the players felt was their worse fault, and they felt it was giving away the ball. He said they had worked on that. Unfortunately they same fault emerged tonight, and it undid some powerful play which gave Dublin plenty to think about at times.The Dublin goals were a sickener, but each time, Cork shook themselves and went at it again. The heads never dropped once. They have plenty of mistakes to work on and if they rectify some of them, there’s no reason they can’t beat Tyrone.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 am

Without wanting to take anything from the effort last night and the joy of seeing Cork footballers willing to give it a lash and show some genuine skill, we have to acknowledge that it’s a sign of how low we had sunk that we are happy with last night. We have definitely made progress but the positive glow will wear off pretty fast if we continue to ship big beatings. And we will continue to ship big bearings if we don’t do something about our defensive approach. It’s all very well the players saying that defensive football doesn’t suit them but no team can win games on a consistent basis without a solid foundation at the back. We now know we can attack. We have to sort out the defensive side of things and almost do JimcGuinness in reverse. It would be Corkness personified to be contrary like that!!

Both our wing backs were caught defensively last night. They contributed massively to the attacking side and that’s traditionally been the Cork way, but we cannot have a half back line that gets shrugged off the ball so easily. The players involved will develop but they had to realise that they need to. With all due respect to Loughrey and the effort he always puts in, we have to find a player with more pace to cover that position too. A clearly not full fit Deane was covering ground for about four players last night and it is impacting his individual contribution to the point where people are talking about him not playing well.

Ultimately this comes down to coaching and to a willingness by the players to both buy into the need for a defensive system and the willingness to put in the work to ensure that the transition from defence to attack and vice versa doesn’t take from our ability to play our game. Fitness is absolutely key to that and hopefully the main lesson they have taken from both the Kerry and Dublin games is that they are not fit enough to keep up the pace for 75 minutes.

There were some signs last night with some of the patterns that the attack and the ability to work the ball into good scoring positions has benefited from good work on the coaching side. The defence also clearly had a system and you could see the players communicating with each other. It’s just one that doesn’t work either because it will never work or because it doesn’t yet have the players strong or fit or cynical enough to play it. One thing for sure, Dublin defenders won’t waltz up the field against Donegal or Mayo and Jack mcCaffreey would have been stopped in his tracks but 14 different Kerry men taking it in turns last night.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Top analysis 'Dhá Lamh'.
I felt the defence didn't get enough help from our attackers.
Sad to see opposition backs running with the ball and leaving our forwards lost in their wake.
Happened against Kerry and again last night, both gave up the chase, out of puff and bollixed.
Goals conceded in both cases, so Powter and O Hanlon badly needed v Tyrone as they will run all day.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”