Media Articles

Matty Hislop

Media Articles

Postby Matty Hislop » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Thought a thread to post GAA related media articles (Doesn't have to be Cork) might be useful.

To get the ball rolling..
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 01104.html

I for one can understand where Ryan is coming from. The GAA and Cork got a load of bad press in the lead up to the game.

(apologies if article was posted elsewhere)
Lurker

Re: Media Articles

Postby Lurker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm

He says they were bullied into hosting the game, but really they were shamed into it. Just as they were shamed into caving when (ironically enough) they tried to bully Kildare into relinquishing home advantage for their qualifier against Mayo.

I had some sympathy for the GAA when the whole thing took off initially, as it was nothing to do with them really and all of a sudden they were knee deep in a controversy not directly of their own making. But they handled it appallingly I felt, the original knee-jerk statement refusing to accommodate the match, saying they received legal advice about the funding and all that stuff seemed pretty cold in the circumstances.

And it's absolute nonsense for him to suggest they might have accommodated the match of their own accord if they were "given the chance". They were given the chance, and then another chance, and then another.

It's hard to understand the mentality of him dragging all this up again now after the event was deemed such a success in the end. Do they actively seek bad press?
Last edited by Lurker on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Lurker wrote:He's says they were bullied into hosting the game, but really they were shamed into it. Just as they were shamed into caving when (ironically enough) they tried to bully Kildare into relinquishing home advantage for their qualifier against Mayo.

I had some sympathy for the GAA when the whole thing took off initially, as it was nothing to do with them really and all of a sudden they were knee deep in a controversy not directly of their own making. But they handled it appallingly I felt, the original knee-jerk statement refusing to accommodate the match, saying they received legal advice about the funding and all that stuff seemed pretty cold in the circumstances.

And it's absolute nonsense for him to suggest they might have accommodated the match of their own accord if they were "given the chance". They were given the chance, and then another chance, and then another.

It's hard to understand the mentality of him dragging all this up again now after the event was deemed such a success in the end. Do they actively seek bad press?

Very good post, Lurker.

I echo those thoughts. I, too, felt sorry for them at first - but the PR disaster was completely unavoidable, starting off with Cork's Executive disingenuously blaming Croke Park.

I just cannot see what's to be gained by the GAA voluntarily going into this at length again and, indeed, seeming to look for sympathy as well....
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Lurker wrote:He says they were bullied into hosting the game, but really they were shamed into it. Just as they were shamed into caving when (ironically enough) they tried to bully Kildare into relinquishing home advantage for their qualifier against Mayo.

Agree totally, Lurker.

Couldn't believe I was hearing this.

Why the hell drag this up again months later when, as you say, the event was deemed a success and the GAA actually ended up getting positive PR out of it. Who advises these guys on basic communication & PR skills? Talk about dragging defeat from the jaws of victory.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”