Cork U20 Hurling 2019

tipp-ex

Re: Cork U20 Hurling 2019

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:22 am

Absolute nonsense. Who would have thought that playing hurling contributed to 7 minutes of madness
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:53 am

How many All-Ireland losses has Ring presided over in total between minor,U-21 and Harty Cup? Someone said to me today it was six or seven.
That is surely an exaggeration.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 am

leesider wrote:How many All-Ireland losses has Ring presided over in total between minor,U-21 and Harty Cup? Someone said to me today it was six or seven.
That is surely an exaggeration.

It's deffo 3 I a row with Cork, Saturday night he completed the hatrick

Tony Considine fairly laying into the management on today's Echo, if anyone has a link
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

tipp-ex wrote:
Tony Considine fairly laying into the management on today's Echo, if anyone has a link

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/The-Tony-Considine-column-U20-loss-proved-that-a-new-management-approach-is-needed-for-Cork-hurling-teams-96db78f4-0a4e-4da7-9a39-bb04e0e45703-ds

Let's hope he is proven right about this part:
"John Meyler is gone from the senior role and now Denis Ring will probably go at underage."
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:51 pm

Read it this morning.

"There were more Cork supporters than Tipperary supporters in the large crowd. Yet once again they were very disappointed."

The Cork crowd got so little to cheer about barring O'Connell's goal, but they cheered when they got an opportunity, even for the points.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:28 pm

He also mentions that Cork should should look for an outside manager. At this point I'd let the Queen of England manage the team if it delivered an All Ireland.

Re the match. It was such a disappointing end to a disappointing year for Cork hurling. I felt for the players, they were so rattled in the first ten minutes they couldn't compose themselves and make the right decision when on the ball. This happens to us all when you get such a bad start to a game. But this is where management needed to be cool headed and get word to the players to calm down and and use the ball wisely and attack in numbers.
But this management is clueless.

I couldnt believe how narrow Cork were for the Puck outs. Tipp half forwards simply sat between HB line and midfield so if Millerick or Downey collected a short pick out by the time they turned tipps corner forwards and half forwards were on to them. There were no runners off the shoulder to support the lad in possession so it lead to hit and hope balls that Tipp gobbled up.

Same as the forwards. No support or link play. It was like the team never played together. Taking random shots. You have to admire how Tipp went for goals each time. As soo as a forward got the ball no matter how far from goal they ran at Cork with players usually left or right waiting to pop the ball and if a goal was on they'd take it if not recycle for a point. A well coached team and each player was willing to do what it takes for the team.

We all know the next appointments in all grades is vital. We just can't continue giving jobs to those who failed repeatedly. K'OD had a huge task ahead of him. We could easily be looking at 20 years without a title.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm

A horrendous evening in Limerick brought down the inter county curtain on a bad year. This defeat, whilst it can't or shouldn't be viewed in isolation, is the year's biggest backward step for Cork hurling, in a year where we've taken a number of backwards steps.

Like another poster mentioned, I too was slightly late to the game, but only by 30 seconds. Coming up the steps into the North Stand we were greeted by a roar...emerging into the light the scoreboard was posting Tipp's goal. Ok, we thought...bad start we got work to do here but its early, the game's not yet a minute old. We all know now the horror show that followed.

Where to start with the performance?? First thing I'd say...I'm no S&C expert but Tipp players looked miles ahead of us in terms of strength & fitness. They broke through Cork bodies (I won't say tackles, because tackles were mostly non-existent) with ease. They were were far more powerful and physical in almost all exchanges. That was pitiful to watch.

Now maybe that element of our game looked worse than it was because the Cork defence was totally shell-shocked after 7/8 minutes, I don't know. But whatever about S&C, what I do know is that Tipp's hurling was far sharper, crisper, faster and more clinical than ours. I had some pity for our backs in a way as they were, as i said, completely shellshocked, blinded by the light of the Tipp onslaught, and no clue how to cope with Tipp's movement and intensity. My pity came from the fact that they were left there as lambs to the slaughter by our sideline, who I guess were equally shellshocked. We had conceded 4 goals and the game was as good as over before the sideline took any action and even that was only rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Look, very disappointing for everone I know, and the players did not go out to put in such a limp performance. Any team can have a bad day at the office, but Cork hurling at all levels has had only very random sporadic good days in 15 years. The wounds are deep and the scars are not healing. We can all see that.

Where do we go from here? As many have pointed out the next management teams are critical. I still hold out hope and belief in our hurlers but all confidence has been eroded this year. We have, or believe we have, a talent pool coming through that can be developed. But we thought that before 6pm on Sat, and we don't believe it as strongly now. Its all about strong management, strong leadership to instill confidence, belief, passion, desire, hunger, determination and a winning mentality into our young hurlers. Only then will we know if our hurling and hurlers are up to the required level.
leesider

Postby leesider » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:13 pm

Is it a record for a manager to have lost three All-Ireland finals in successive years at a different grade each year?
I'd say it must be. Ring must be very proud of himself.
hurlinghero

Postby hurlinghero » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am

a sure Ring gave us the reason for failure we were leggy after some of them playing the previous week what a joke. He told us the week before we should be particularly alert when the game went into stoppage time at the end but he was hit with four at the start. Even when we came out after the break Tipp went on from from where they left off I know it was too late but what was said to them at half time ?. Put the so called management team to bed now but aside from that the players should not have been as bad as what we saw and the score line should have been a lot more against us. Cannot see any light there atall for us from what I saw unless we put our hands on some Messiah at this stage. Cork are now reaping the rewards from what has happened at board level over the last 20 Years. all we can do now is put our best foot forward with a total shakeup in the way our development squads are run along the line. All talk about numbers who are being catered for in development squads its quality we want from all concerned and taking stock of what is happening in the successful counties.
leesider

Postby leesider » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:53 pm

Denis Ring has stepped down, thank God.

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”