High Performance Manager

tipp-ex

High Performance Manager

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Cork GAA is pleased to announce the appointment of Aidan O'Connell as our new High Performance Manager.

Aidan will be responsible for all high performance matters within Cork GAA and will partner with the CEO, Cork GAA staff and team managers in both hurlingand football to develop and strengthen strategies relating to player development within the organisation.

Aidan brings 17 years’ experience, successfully leading, managing and coaching various aspects of high performance delivery with Munster, Leinster and IrishRugby including strength and conditioning, sports science, return to play, nutrition and lifestyle to elite team sports at youth, amateur, professional and international level.

He also worked with the Cork Senior Footballers from 2008 to 2012 providing the support structure for physical development which coincided with the County’slast All Ireland at Senior level.

Aidan is the holder of a Bachelor of Science in Sports and Exercise Science (BSc) from University of Limerick and a Master of Science in Coaching Studies(MSc) from University of Edinburgh.

This announcement follows an appointment process overseen by secretary / CEO Kevin O'Donovan, along with Cian O'Neill of CIT, former Cork managers Brian Cuthbert and Kieran Kingston,and Doug Howlett, formerly of New Zealand and Munster Rugby.

Welcoming the appointment, County Chairperson Tracey Kennedy said "I am absolutely delighted that someone of the calibre and experience of Aidan O'Connellis joining the Cork GAA team. The position of High Performance Manager will be a vital one in ensuring that we maximise the achievement of our inter-county teams in an increasingly demanding and competitive environment, and Aidan brings a wealth of practicalexperience to this role, along with a strong GAA background. He has come through a rigorous interview process, and we are very lucky to have secured his services. On behalf of Cork County Board, I would like to warmly welcome Aidan to the team and wish himevery success in this new role."

The position of High Performance Manager is part-funded by Cáirde Chorcaí,whose continued support is gratefully acknowledged by Cork County Board.
jbm1

Re: High Performance Manager

Postby jbm1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Well that's a start anyway !!
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm

O’Connell will be responsible for all high-performance matters within Cork GAA and will partner with the CEO, Cork GAA staff and team managers in both hurling and football to develop and strengthen strategies relating to player development within the organisation.

Not my words obviously, just copied it from www.the42.ie.
Can't find any mention of salary but if he left the rugger buggers then we presume he's on a bigger remuneration now ?
I'd love to get my old head around all this high performance stuff. S and C stuff looks to have been lacking in the young hurlers
recently v Tipp so his muscle building talent should be useful.
We wish him well.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:25 pm

Not a rugby fan so I don't know much about his credentials, but will he now have a say in selecting the new manager?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Well the senior footballers were certainly competitive between 2008 and 20012. They won a few consecutive league titles as well as the All-Ireland of 2010. They should have won a few more All-Irelands during that time, but that they didn’t is generally attributed to Conor Counihan’s conservative approach. We can hope.
hurlinghero

Postby hurlinghero » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Esxcuse me now but what we want is a guy like Liam Sheedy, Brian Cody or Liam Cahill who will put some life back into the hurling scene and direct operations from the start of development squads. Same required in football. What is this Aidan O'Connell going to do for us ? The show is up after Saturday where we deserved to be beaten by a much higher margin as Tipperary fell asleep for 5 to 10 minutes. We want somebody to direct hurling operations and football likewise people who will show us how its done. Our development squads are gone up in smoke as we can see from our performances at Minor this year and last year we are miles off it. Can anyone tell me that next years minor will do anything for us as well only more of the same. We won one under 17 all Ireland in a year where it was only a secondary competition.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Extremely highly thought of during his spell here and extremely highly thought of in rugby circles.

Clearly he's moved on from just s&c and I believe he is particularly strong on nutrition.

Looks an excellent appointment.
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Great appointment, hopefully now they can crack on with arranging the new appointments for the U17, U20 and senior hurling teams
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:56 pm

Podsy wrote:Extremely highly thought of during his spell here and extremely highly thought of in rugby circles.

Clearly he's moved on from just s&c and I believe he is particularly strong on nutrition.

Looks an excellent appointment.

Speaking to a colleague this morning who's been heavily involved with Munster Rugby, he backs this up unreservedly.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Payback for Tomas O'Leary & Sweetnam!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”