Recommendations for Cork Hurling Management positions announced

Dorcha

Recommendations for Cork Hurling Management positions announced

Postby Dorcha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:02 pm

At the outset of this process, the goal was to put in place a structure that would ensure the best possible management teams for each grade of Cork hurling, both now and into the future, and also to provide a pathway for the development of younger coaches and those with less inter-county experience. Following extensive consultation over several weeks, the Executive of Cork County Board is pleased to recommend the appointment of Kieran Kingston (Tracton) as manager of the Cork Senior hurling team for a three-year term, along with coach Ger Cunningham (St. Finbarr’s) and Diarmuid O’Sullivan (Cloyne). A full backroom team will be announced at a later date.

Pat Ryan (Sarsfields) will take the helm at U20 for a two-year term, joined by Donal O’Mahony (Bishopstown), Brendan Coleman (Youghal), Fergal Condon (Aghada) and Wayne Sherlock (Blackrock).

Donal Óg Cusack (Cloyne) has been recommended as Minor (U17) manager on a one-year basis for 2020, joined by Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh), Tom Kenny (Grenagh), and further selectors to be appointed, one of whom will provide a link to the current under-age playing base.

With the pathway for the progress of younger coaches a major priority, the Executive also recommends the appointment of current U15 manager Noel Furlong (Carrigtwohill) as U16 manager for a two-year term, with Seanie McGrath (Bantry Blues), Niall McCarthy (Carrigtwohill), Ger O’Regan (St. Finbarr’s) and David Dorgan (Fr. O’Neill’s) as selectors.
All the above appointments are subject to ratification by the County Board on Tuesday night.
Commenting on the announcement, County Chairperson Tracey Kennedy said “I am absolutely delighted with the outcome of the appointments process, and honoured to be putting these names before County Board on Tuesday night. As I indicated at the outset, we did not want to rush into any decisions, and the length of the process is indicative both of the extent of our consultation and the number of excellent people who were willing to talk to us about Cork hurling. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of those who have agreed to serve as managers, coaches and selectors, and I truly believe that we now have a structure in place which will ensure that we can always secure the best people to lead Cork teams,
Dorcha

Re: Recommendations for Cork Hurling Management positions announced

Postby Dorcha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:08 pm

There were rumours of difficulties about the minor position. To me the recommendation for this position is a surprise, since there were indications that if JMB didn't get it/take it, it would possibly go to Jamie Wall. It remains to be seen if the clubs will pass it. I would think the Senior and Under 20 positions will be ratified without any problem.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Overall there's some promising names there. Definitely a fresh new direction being taken. The reason for the one year minor term was to being all terms of the main 3 teams in line with one another.

I've been saying for a while now that I see the naming of the Minor manager by the Senior Exec as contributing to our lack of success. Ive no problem per say with Donal Og (good backroom team) but where is Jamie Wall in all this?

Can somebody tell me WHY the Senior Exec appoint this minor managers?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Reading through that list again I see one of the Under-16 selectors as Seanie McGrath (Bantry Blues). Since it is hurling, I presume that this Seanie McGrath is from Glen Rovers.
northcorklad

Postby northcorklad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Astonished to see Donal Óg in the list there tbh. Even taking away from his very public criticism of the previous regime, wouldn't one of Sean Óg or Tom Kenny not know this group somewhat better considering they're a few years involved now with underage teams in Cork?

Very pleased to see Kingston back, I'm convinced we'd have at least one all Ireland now if he'd not stepped away from it in 2017. Hopefully Pat Mulcahy will be brought on board somewhere eventually, think he would add a lot. Overall I'm very confident we'll see a more cohesive Cork side next year, and definitely one that won't put in a performance like that third quarter against Kilkenny.
Podsy

Postby Podsy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:28 am

Positive stuff all 'round.

Tipp-Ex - the Senior County Board have always controlled the Inter-County Minor Team, even going back through the decades. I think it's the same in most Counties, if not all.

Interesting that the minor recommendations are overshadowing the senior ones, perhaps because of the personnel involved, perhaps also because of the one-year term (the logic of which I've yet to grasp, I must admit).

Best of luck to all concerned, and here's hoping a few more strong candidates join them in their quest for silverware.
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 am

I've mixed feelings re the appointments in general. Kind of back to the future feel with the senior team. I'm not sure what Sullivan has to offer that would make improvements to the team. The u20s seems good and a lot stronger than the last two years. Re the minor, i feel the CCB might be trying to appease/unite the public and Bury the ill feeling that was like a two decade hangover in Cork. Let's see if Cusack can prove himself given all the talk he does.

Wall, Ben and Pat Mulcahy were names I thought would be involved in some capacity.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:22 am

Other than not understanding the mystery surrounding JBM not accepting/not being offered the minor job as was widely predicted, I think the various management teams are strong and credible and we have grounds for optimism.

The minor set-up is is very interseting....3 legends and All-Ireland winners, ok their coaching acumen has to be tested but the gravitas and status these guys bring will generate its own buzz. The one year thing I don't get either...its a lot to expect major improvement and development of both players and mangement team on a one year term. If thats the reason JBM declined, then its both understandable and all the more puzzling.

The U20 management ticket looks really strong and well rounded. This is a crucial grade for Cork now in bridging the gap and developing players for senior. Very good coaching pedigree among those 5, really looking forward to how we go at this grade.

The senior is as expected, I'm pleased to see Sully there as I thought he did good work with the backs last time, some of which seemed to slip back in the previous two years. I'm also pleased to see Cunningham involved...I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea and the Dublin job didn't work out at all...but he still brings serious coaching experience and maybe coach & selector as opposed to manager is the best role for him. Would still like to see Pat Mul and/or Ben adding further weight to this set-up.

Not sure what happened with Jamie Wall & JBM in all of this but otherwise you'd have to believe there are strong management teams in place for all three grades. Looking forward to 2020 now already and a hopefully re-energised direction for Cork hurling.
donal66

Postby donal66 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm

We have proven All-Ireland winners running the line in 2020 - Sully, Cunningham, Ryan, Donal Og, Sean Og, Kenny, + +
Some change around from serial losers
Matty Hislop

Postby Matty Hislop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 pm

donal66 wrote:We have proven All-Ireland winners running the line in 2020 - Sully, Cunningham, Ryan, Donal Og, Sean Og, Kenny, + +
Some change around from serial losers

Proven all Ireland winners as players. Not to take a way from their achievements but great players don't always make great managers/coaches. Bar Dónal Óg and Seán Óg, all have been involved with Cork teams already with little success. Let's not get ahead of ourselves with the appointments made. I will be backing all teams fully again in 2020 but given the recent record I won't be going to the bookies anytime soon!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”