Cork Senior Football 2020

tipp-ex

Cork Senior Football 2020

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:27 am

Playing Kerry in Munster semi final
tipp-ex

Re: Cork Senior Football 2020

Postby tipp-ex » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:11 am

Likely to be in tier 2 championship next year. This relegation to D3 is really gonna bite us in the ass next year
exile67

Postby exile67 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 am

Never a better time to play Kerry and to beat them. And why not? It will be on our home patch, early in the season, and there will be, one would hope, a few lads back (Powter, Crowley) and some new blood from the U20s (particularly the FF line of Cronin, Gore, O'Mahony). Kerry are not as good as they are made out to be, particularly at the back. the main benefit they will have is Div 1 football over our Div 3.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

exile67 wrote:Never a better time to play Kerry and to beat them. And why not? It will be on our home patch, early in the season, and there will be, one would hope, a few lads back (Powter, Crowley) and some new blood from the U20s (particularly the FF line of Cronin, Gore, O'Mahony). Kerry are not as good as they are made out to be, particularly at the back. the main benefit they will have is Div 1 football over our Div 3.

Sorry exile, but we are very unlikely to beat Kerry with the current manager calling the shots. We all know where he got us to.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am

tipp-ex wrote:Likely to be in tier 2 championship next year. This relegation to D3 is really gonna bite us in the ass next year

John Horan seemed to suggest promotion from Division 3 might be enough to secure Tier 1 football, with the two relegated teams from Division 2 missing out instead. Yet to be confirmed but if we can't manage that, we'll deserve Tier 2 football.
Tanora

Postby Tanora » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 am

October 19th is the important date for us now. My understanding is that there is gong to be 2 votes on restructuring the championship. One will be to vote on the introduction of a 2 tiered championship . If passed , a second vote will decide whether 'Division 3 and 4 teams' be designated based on their final League standings, incorporating promotion and relegation, as of April 2019 or April 2020. Should the motion relating to a tiered championship be passed we would then be hoping that the 2nd vote will pass in favour of final league standings in April 2020..... that's if we do get promoted.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Lurker wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:Likely to be in tier 2 championship next year. This relegation to D3 is really gonna bite us in the ass next year

John Horan seemed to suggest promotion from Division 3 might be enough to secure Tier 1 football, with the two relegated teams from Division 2 missing out instead. Yet to be confirmed but if we can't manage that, we'll deserve Tier 2 football.

Tough one to solve. King Solomon himself might find it difficult to decide if teams on the way up and improving SHOULD be regarded
as superior to the unfortunate teams they replace who have been competing in a HIGHER grade and just come up short.
If I were King Solomon I'd put those FOUR teams into a hat and draw for the right to compete for Sam.
Is there another way?
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Why should they do it like that at all? Shouldn't every county have the right to try for Sam? How bloody well dare they?

Since the GAA has taken so much from English soccer, why do something even the FA wouldn't contemplate? The leagues are for promotion and relegation, the championship - as in soccer - should be a glorious free-for all, where every lowly county had the prospect of putting a spanner in the works of one of the more powerful counties?

Again, this is all about money in an organization which is supposed to be amateur. The championship is, of course, the money-maker with the GAA, and this will denigrate the leagues even further.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Division 2 and 3 of the League will be mighty competitive if they go with this system Dorcha.
If you are happy seeing Carlow or Louth getting walloped by 20 or 30 points by the Dubs or Waterford getting a similar
flaking from Kerry or even ourselves, then your point is valid.
I don't see it that way and I'm pretty sure the proposed changes are intended to stop these debacles rather than any
monetary success. Perhaps a bit of both?
I'm absolutely sure that something had to be done and trust me I hold no brief for the 'suits'.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Are we Mayo supporters now? Beaten/cursed before the season even starts? Corkness how are ya!

I share Rantys concerns about the manager to be honest. Ronan McCarthy seems like a decent man and has done a huge amount for football in Cork, but no serious tier one county would tolerate Division 3 football and not make radical changes to the management set up and the overall panel. That said, some changes have been made so all we can do now is trust that their voices will make a difference and that we can build on the bit of progress made in reaching the Super 8s and showing signs of improvement.

Dorcha, I also agree with Ranty on the tier two stuff. The FA Cup is less about romance and giant killing than it is about providing the hope of a pay day for struggling smaller clubs. Man Utd might have a run in it this year but the big clubs barely tog out for it before the semi final stage. ;) whatever you think about the tier 2 proposal, I think the motives behind it genuinely relate to competitiveness.

There is a multi tier system in hurling. Why not football? Is it hurling snobbery to suggest that every county can play football to a level that allows them to compete for Sam but that doesn’t apply in hurling? Are Armagh hurlers less deserving of a shot than Waterford footballers?

Ranty, would Solomon organise a play off round robin between the two relegated teams and the two promoted teams? There’d be a few fine digs thrown on a fine Spring day if a shot at playing for Sam was at stake. Of course it wouldn’t be beyond some teams to go on the batter after winning division three and not win their play off game...

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”