GAA Books

Dorcha

Re: GAA Books

Postby Dorcha » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm

You’re right, of course. I should have checked the records. The problem is, where I come from the footballers failures have been highlighted while the hurlers failures have been glossed over with excuses and “ah, sure it’ll always come right in the end.” I should have checked the records instead of forming an opinion from the tone of the book.
Lurker

Re: GAA Books

Postby Lurker » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

I actually thought you'd quoted that bit from one of the books.

Yeah, I started going to Cork games in 1991, a cruel break. Was in Killarney for the league game with the brawl (may even have been late 1990)... we lost. Back in Fitzgerald Stadium for the Munster game when we were raging favourites... lost again. And this was followed by my 'Championship Hurling' debut for the replay in Semple Stadium v Tipp, lost in extra time after leading by about ten points I think! Hammered as favourites against Kerry a year later again in my first Championship game in the Páirc, so I didn't actually see us win until Joe Kavanagh settled the 1993 match in Killarney. That was the first of a further 3 in-a-row in Munster at least, while the hurlers had fallen into insignificance during that time. We came so close to another double in '99. It would have been something else to start and end the decade with a double, having barely featured in between!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”