Other GAA

Sinbin

Re: Other GAA

Postby Sinbin » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Its certainly looking that way. I do think Kerry will be the team that ultimately takes Dublin down, not sure it'll be next year, but they will eventually.

The Dubs 'drive for 5' and Kerry's manic mission to stop it will be the soundtrack to next near's football championship. It's started already and will continue right through the winter, gathering even more hysteria once the intercounty scene kicks off again in February.

Be prepared for Dublin-Kerry media frenzy where zillions of trees and cyber space will be destroyed in endless comparisons between the counties, teams, the eras etc. It will retro central with every Dub/Kerryman associated with the 70's dragged out to give opinion. Seamus Darby will trend endlessly & Eugene McGee will be a busy man.

Its started already, and its boring already. Yet, we can only look on with envy that we won't feature in any meaningful discussion on who is likely to derail the Dubs, or who is likely to derail Kerry in their frenzied attempt to derail the Dubs.

We thought this year's football championship was one turgid bore...next year will surpass it ever before a ball is kicked.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Congratulations to Dublin. One of the great teams of all time. The moaning about the style of football being played generally is probably diverting attention away from the fact that we are looking at some of the finest players to play the game. Fenton, O’Callaghan, McCaffrey, Howard, Kilkenny and Mannion would not look out of place on any team. Their ability to keep focus and drive on is admirable. That said, they weren’t at their best as a team this year and I think even though they won yesterday there were enough signs to suggest next year could be more interesting than people think.

From a Cork perspective, I hope we stop bemoaning the state of the game and focus on getting back in the game. I still find it hard to believe that there aren’t 20 footballers in Cork who couldn’t be competitive against counties who went a long way this year. I include Galway in that, who I think proved again to be one of the most over rated teams in the country.

Kerry will be better next year. They’ll be a year more mature and are likely to have a better back room team in place. Mayo will either be back for one last kick or will fade away. My money would be on the last kick with Horan back at the helm. Monaghan will find it hard to repeat this year’s exploits but they’ll remain hard to beat and if Tyrone can add a forward or two they will get better. Kildare remain an enigma but some strong underage teams suggest they could be next year’s Monaghan,

The league should be interesting next year. After that we’ll have a better sense of whether it’s likely to be a famous five or whether someone can derail the pale. In terms of competitiveness it’s no more boring than it was when Kilkenny were miles ahead of everyone in hurling for the best part of a decade. If anything, the fact that the championship structure requires them to play more games than KK did back then just highlights the superiority more. It’s up to everyone else to catch up. And some will.

In terms of football style I think Jim McGuinness’s recent suggestion about tweaking the scoring is the way to go. Two points for a long range point. I’d also be in favor of one point for a handpassed goal unless the ball was delivered in from outside the 20 meter line with the foot. Reintroduce the sin bin. And possibly reduce it to 13 a side.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 am

Whatever about Galway being overrated, I think they are the county we should be looking to emulate in the short to medium term. It's only eighteen months since we were at a similar level to them, playing out a draw in Salthill in the opening match of the Division 2 NFL campaign, a match we left behind us. Since then Galway have progressed to Division 1, taken control of their province and contested a Division 1 league final and AI semi final. The only team that have beaten them this year in meaningful games has been Dublin, and Galway gave a reasonably good account of themselves even in those matches. They've also managed to beat Kerry in both league and championship, something we look miles off achieving. They've managed this rapid progression despite their hurler's success also, so it can be done.
leesider

Postby leesider » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Twohands wrote:Congratulations to Dublin. One of the great teams of all time.

Being funded to high heaven hasn't helped them in any way at all of course.
Twohands

Postby Twohands » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:00 am

leesider wrote:

Of course it did. In the same way I'm sure JP's money helped Limerick and the supporters clubs have helped the likes of Tyrone . Wouldn't it have been great if our County Board had the vision to accept different sources of funding long before now.

Funding also doesn't make teams great on its own. Lots of counties had significant funding from other sources and frittered it away on outside managers for the senior team and helicopters to training and all that stuff. To be fair to Dublin they have developed players and invested in the games from the grassroots up. The pitch is uneven and needs to be adjusted, but you have to admire Dublin for what they have done with the investment they got. I wonder if it would have been used in the same way in Cork.

And in the end of the day, funding isn't the reason why Aidan Walsh has gone backwards while Fenton has progressed.
leesider

Postby leesider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Twohands wrote:
leesider wrote:

Of course it did. In the same way I'm sure JP's money helped Limerick and the supporters clubs have helped the likes of Tyrone.

I am referring to the huge coaching/game development grants from GAA central funds that has been doled out to Dublin in the last ten years (ten times more per head of population than other county). Limerick and Tyrone have received the same as every other county per head of population.
Twohands wrote: Wouldn't it have been great if our County Board had the vision to accept different sources of funding long before now.

We weren't offered it so the argument is hypothetical
Twohands wrote:Funding also doesn't make teams great on its own. Lots of counties had significant funding from other sources and frittered it away on outside managers for the senior team and helicopters to training and all that stuff. To be fair to Dublin they have developed players and invested in the games from the grassroots up. The pitch is uneven and needs to be adjusted, but you have to admire Dublin for what they have done with the investment they got.

Oh sure that's alright so. The dubs were financially doped by the GAA but sure they spent the money really well so good luck to them. Tell that to the cash-strapped county boards of Carlow, Westmeath etc.

Twohands wrote:I wonder if it would have been used in the same way in Cork.

I have no doubt that we would not have spent it as well. That still doesn't make it right.
Twohands wrote:And in the end of the day, funding isn't the reason why Aidan Walsh has gone backwards while Fenton has progressed.

That's true too but being coached by full-time professional coaches will improve a player.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:29 pm

The GAA is having second thoughts about it's recent regrading.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-consideringshake-up-of-underage-competitions-866838.html

"A return to the U21 grade at inter-county level and minor jumping from U17 to U19 are being considered."

"Should GAA president John Horan succeed in having a second tier All-Ireland football championship take place, it's likely that it would replace the minor final as the curtain-raiser, with the Joe McDonagh Cup final possibly being played prior to the All-Ireland SHC final."

It seems what they want is U17, U19 (which will be the minor competition), and U21. This is not too bad an idea, at all. It's just a pity that couldn't have thought more deeply about it in the first place.
exile67

Postby exile67 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:15 am

Like the Roman Empire before it, the GAA is sowing the seeds of its own destruction.

This has been the most boring GAA season that I can remember in the 45 years since I became aware of the GAA.

Why? The championship didn't extend into the autumn. It almost went like an exercise to be got through as soon as possible. The GAA is selling itself out to Sky tv as though that is where the future (revenue) lies.

I do hope that people keep focussed on their clubs. When monotony hits in at national level, it is from there that re-birth will occur.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:19 pm

I agree with you about the almost undue haste with which the championship and league were played off. It was as if they couldn't wait to get rid of them. Even if your county won their match, you had no time to savour that success because another match was coming down the just week-long track, like a runaway express train.

While acknowledging that they were trying to make space for the club championships, they erred vastly in setting aside May for it, splitting both the inter-county season and the club season, so that the last state was rather worse than the first.

There wasn't that much wrong with the way things were. Most counties were out of the inter-county scene early enough, and they could then have run off their county championships. All this mess was created for just a few prime counties, whose clubs didn't want to be without their stars.

If May is also devoted to the inter-county season, then that's a month more for the clubs, which should be adequate. I don't know how other counties operate, but the Cork CB doesn't help matters by giving first round losers a second chance. In consequence the first round of the championship has a sort of surreal feel about it as a clubs knows it can still win the county even if it loses its first match. In the championship, if you lose your first game, you should be out and try harder next year.

It would also help if relegation was decided by the league position rather than the championship losses. This would also give the leagues back a little of the shine they've lost in the last ten years and make the matches a little more meaningful again. Clubs are often without their stars for those league matches, but that should make the other players work a little harder. Winning the league title should also be regarded as a good second prize to the championship, and, perhaps, more exciting, because more clubs have a chance of winning it.
Sinbin

Postby Sinbin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:14 pm

exile67 wrote:Like the Roman Empire before it, the GAA is sowing the seeds of its own destruction.

This has been the most boring GAA season that I can remember in the 45 years since I became aware of the GAA.

Why? The championship didn't extend into the autumn. It almost went like an exercise to be got through as soon as possible. The GAA is selling itself out to Sky tv as though that is where the future (revenue) lies.

I do hope that people keep focussed on their clubs. When monotony hits in at national level, it is from there that re-birth will occur.

The football championship may have been boring and predictable, and the quality of football generally appalling apart from Dublin. 'Newbridge or Nowhere' was probably the only half-interesting sideshow.

But the hurling championship was the total opposite...anything but boring with several memorable games, moments, and hurling of an extremely high quality. Ironic that the final itself was probably the poorest game of the year hurling-wise involving the big teams, that could be put down to the magnitude of the occasion and Limerick's manic desire to win.

I agree though, the whole season did seem a bit rushed...finishing the intercounty season in August seems like change just for the sake of it. I remarked to friends last week it just makes the winter a whole lot longer.

And I don't see how the club championships have been helped at all(if that was the thinking behind the change), there's been a frenzy of club activity in recent weeks in both hurling and football and for most clubs its their first games since April or May. I get that its a difficult balancing act to accommodate both club and intercounty in peak summer months and appreciate there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

But moving the AI finals into August doesn't sit well with a traditionalist like me. Some things are better left alone... Sept has always been the month for AI finals, it has served us well, brings the curtain down on the intercounty season as the nights close in, the leaves start falling, the fires are cleaned out and we hunker down for the winter.

I mean, what will they f*** about with next...daylight saving?? Oh wait....!!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”