Other GAA

cahirofcork

Re: Other GAA

Postby cahirofcork » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Fair play to UCC, they dogged it out in the 2nd half after a woeful first. Went direct in the second. Kingston Fitzgibbon and Downey came to the fore along with the lad at the back from Limerick. Sending off of O'Leary actually wound them up and they won it from there. Conway hit some great long range frees as well.
Ranty

Postby Ranty » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Happened to hear Des Cahill's interview with prospective GAA President Larry McCarthy on RTE radio yesterday and have to say he sounded impressive.
Barrs/Bishopstown native and a lecturer on all things sport in the USA now, but deeply involved in the GAA over there.
Appears to be totally in command of this brief if we are to take the book by the cover.
I cannot find the bettting odds on this momentous event but I suspect McCarthy will not beat Jarlath Burns of Armagh?
We didn't hear the " cúpla fochall" anywhere in the interview and I blame Cahill for that, but Burns is a "gaelgóir " even if it sounds
like Swahili in his nordie dialect.
McCarthy's father was a Kerryman who took him to Croke Park at a young age to watch.............you guessed it............not Cork.
Boyhood hero, Mick O Connell.
He didn't say anything about Clifford's RED card against Tyrone........... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Kieran Donaghy wants the GAA to shut down supporters' forums. I'm not sure how he thinks the GAA can shut down privately-owned websites.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/donaghy-calls-on-gaa-to-tackle-keyboard-warriors-982577.html

A flavour of his rant -

“If the GAA was to do one thing, I’d shut down everyone one of those forums. They are such a negative forum, a lot of poison inside in them and people giving out. And there is literally no need for it because 90% of the people don’t have a clue what they are talking about anyway but it gives them a massive voice to talk about people, getting personal with people. I’d shut down all the forums. I’d shut them down.”

This from the man who indulged in sledging his opponents for years. I would say 90 percent of Donaghy's brain cells are not functioning. I must away now to the Kerry Website to see what they make of it.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Don't mind him
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 am

I find him good generally to be honest, not sure he's thought this one fully through though, when you'd have decent people on forums like this who'd lose out. There are some toxic ones out there too, the world would be a better place without the likes of Resevoir Dubs and our own PROC, despite its occasional usefulness. Maybe they (the Govt, not the GAA) could bring in a rule whereby a forum needs to be properly moderated, with a zero tolerance policy on personal abuse (towards both its users and the wider world) and unfounded rumours, or face the consequences of being closed down.

I'd imagine Twitter in a far bigger problem though and more difficult to solve.
Last edited by Lurker on Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Oddly enough I remember him doing an interview on video many years ago and he came across as quite a nice modest guy (which surprised me considering the way he was behaving on the football field at the time). As you'd say, he hasn't quite thought it through, but such stupidity shouldn't be allowed to pass unremarked, either. I set up a twitter account, myself, many years ago, but never posted on it. The only accounts I follow are Red FM, Cork GAA and the like. However I've viewed many other accounts and never saw anything bad there, apart from someone calling another person an idiot. It should not be forgotten that Twitter gives a voice to many people who would be essentially voiceless before the elite, and it lets one see other points of view more forcefully than any forum can. It is good to have that knowledge.
Lurker

Postby Lurker » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:20 pm

He spoke a lot of sense about the new rules recently and seems to do his research, he's well versed on most teams compared to some of his fellow pundits. I wouldn't take too much notice of his comments on this, maybe thinking out loud having been asked the question in the aftermath of the whole Caroline Flack episode. There's certainly more to consider than he seems to appreciate though.

Twitter is great in a lot of way for sure, but it's also a total warzone. People say things to each other they wouldn't dream of in 'real life'. Bizarre really. And that's before you even get into the countless anonymous accounts polluting the place.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:38 pm

The Cork commemoration jersey.

tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 pm

Lovely
westcorkrebel

Postby westcorkrebel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:32 pm

Very nice looking jersey