donal66

Re: Other GAA

Postby donal66 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:19 pm

ref had a nightmare
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:07 pm

donal66 wrote:ref had a nightmare

Only as in so far as he could have sent another player off in the second half, but chickened out.
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:50 pm

All GAA off until March 29th
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 pm

tipp-ex wrote:All GAA off until March 29th

Back to the videos, then.
CORKFAN

Postby CORKFAN » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 pm

Dorcha wrote:
tipp-ex wrote:All GAA off until March 29th

Back to the videos, then.

Exactly..
tipp-ex

Postby tipp-ex » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Will we see a return to action this year I wonder? Getting really serious now
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Last night I was looking at a video of the Cork V Galway All-Ireland hurling final of 2005. For the first time I realised how much physicality and aggression we have lost. It wasn't as if players didn't occasionally lose their markers, but for the most part it was close-up stuff, man glued to man tackling. Joe Deane was completely cleaned out and didn't win a single ball. His only two scores were from frees. Man-of-the-match for me was Ben O'Connor, who scored 1-7, about 1-5 of that from play. What a half back line of John Gardiner, Ronan Curran and Sean Og O'Halipin, Tom Kenny and Jerry O'Connor dominated midfield and scores 7 points between them. Hurling hasn't really changed, but Cork have.
donal66

Postby donal66 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 pm

Couldn't agree more ...............
Time to make Donal O'Grady our Director of Hurling, aided by John Allen,
in a similar role to Conor Counihan our football guru who is making his presence felt,
they all now have plenty time in their hands
cahirofcork

Postby cahirofcork » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Dorcha wrote:Last night I was looking at a video of the Cork V Galway All-Ireland hurling final of 2005. For the first time I realised how much physicality and aggression we have lost. It wasn't as if players didn't occasionally lose their markers, but for the most part it was close-up stuff, man glued to man tackling. Joe Deane was completely cleaned out and didn't win a single ball. His only two scores were from frees. Man-of-the-match for me was Ben O'Connor, who scored 1-7, about 1-5 of that from play. What a half back line of John Gardiner, Ronan Curran and Sean Og O'Halipin, Tom Kenny and Jerry O'Connor dominated midfield and scores 7 points between them. Hurling hasn't really changed, but Cork have.

Treat yourself to the 86 final Dorcha and concentrate on the backs, see how the art of hard tackling and toughness is a long distant memory for Cork defenders. For 65 minutes of that game, the Galway forwards were given a torrid time. I'd say they were black and blue afterwards.
Dorcha

Postby Dorcha » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:54 pm

cahirofcork wrote:
Dorcha wrote:Last night I was looking at a video of the Cork V Galway All-Ireland hurling final of 2005. For the first time I realised how much physicality and aggression we have lost. It wasn't as if players didn't occasionally lose their markers, but for the most part it was close-up stuff, man glued to man tackling. Joe Deane was completely cleaned out and didn't win a single ball. His only two scores were from frees. Man-of-the-match for me was Ben O'Connor, who scored 1-7, about 1-5 of that from play. What a half back line of John Gardiner, Ronan Curran and Sean Og O'Halipin, Tom Kenny and Jerry O'Connor dominated midfield and scores 7 points between them. Hurling hasn't really changed, but Cork have.

Treat yourself to the 86 final Dorcha and concentrate on the backs, see how the art of hard tackling and toughness is a long distant memory for Cork defenders. For 65 minutes of that game, the Galway forwards were given a torrid time. I'd say they were black and blue afterwards.

I am searching through my collection of DVDs for that one, but I haven't found it yet. Another amazing one was a league semi-final against Dublin in Nowlan Park, where two early goals helped Dublin into a 9 point lead which they held all the way until into the last ten minutes, when Cork finally began to make inroads, thanks to a goal by sub Paudie O'Sullivan. Dublin played very well thoughout and only started to wilt in those last ten minutes. Even so, Cork's winner was in the last second of injury time, a pass from the wing by Conor Lehane to Seamus Harnedy in the center who sent it over the bar. The final whistle blew on the puckout. I was never more glad to get out of a stadium in all my life! Cork were rewarded for not letting their heads drop in what seemed a hopeless situation at times. Even JBM showed emotion at the end!

Return to “The Blood and Bandage”